• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Judas Tree Tempest

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
With all the discussions about finishing pens, how long the finish lasts etc one guy in another country reported after twelve months his pen finish was immaculate but the gold covering on the tip of his pen was worn off.

Looks like a new tip needed mate or a workshop or desk pen keeper. I like the pen. Good luck mate.

Peter.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Ah!! Bad luck Thomas. Lesson learned eh? Don't worry, I'll pop another nib section in the post to you tomorrow. It would be a shame to spoil the ship for a ha'peth of tar.

I buff my pens before I assemble, but I am surprised at the gold finish coming off so easily, on a semi upmarket pen
I'm not sure it came off easily Barry - it got abraded on a buffing machine!! I thinks it's probably more fair to say the plating, good as it is, never stood a chance. I'm more than happy to produce a pen kit with a buff-proof plating, but it wouldn't be priced at £6.95 I'm afraid.

johnny5

Registered
Ah!! Bad luck Thomas. Lesson learned eh? Don't worry, I'll pop another nib section in the post to you tomorrow. It would be a shame to spoil the ship for a ha'peth of tar.

I'm not sure it came off easily Barry - it got abraded on a buffing machine!! I thinks it's probably more fair to say the plating, good as it is, never stood a chance. I'm more than happy to produce a pen kit with a buff-proof plating, but it wouldn't be priced at £6.95 I'm afraid.
Cheers Phil , my fault entirely, a touch like an elephant, i left it a bit proud and could not disassemble it even with transfer pushes, a really tight fit. so tried buffing it flush and took the gilt off.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Nice pen Johnny, but can see it looks a very little proud on the nib end.

Can't see any plating that would withstand an elephant and a buffing machine..:funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).