• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Just bought a lathe!!!

markmcg

Apprentice Member
First Name
Mark
Hi, I am totally new to turning & after going to a few wood turning demos, decided to buy a lathe...SIP01936 model. I know it is probably not the best spec...but for the money a cautious buy for the moment.
Anyway, just thought I would leave a note to say Hi ?
Mark

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
Welcome to the forum Mark. You will find loads of useful information on here and just remember never be afraid to ask, there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Lucy

Apprentice Member
First Name
Lucy
Welcome. I'm also quite new to turning but have been totally caught by the bug. I've got the Charnwood mini which has been great for me just starting out.
Everyone here has been great in offering encouragement and advice. :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Welcome my first lathe I made so I had to wait a while longer to kick on in the 80,s. Enjoy it Mark. Welcome from over here.

Peter.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi Mark and welcome so you have been bitten by the bug have you , you poor ol bugger

markmcg

Apprentice Member
First Name
Mark
Hehe...I have, been sorting out space in my shed to accommodate lathe, a few chisels and Sorby ProEdge sharpener (I wanted an 'easy to use' sharpening system - expensive, I know, but persuaded wife I could sharpen knives as well :-D )

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hehe...I have, been sorting out space in my shed to accommodate lathe, a few chisels and Sorby ProEdge sharpener (I wanted an 'easy to use' sharpening system - expensive, I know, but persuaded wife I could sharpen knives as well :-D )

Get the trizack belt they are best for knives and remove very little steel I use them all the time once a tool is profiled

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome to the Forum.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).