• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Keeping busy

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Yes it is.
Had another look under a magnifying lamp and can see 'brown'
Thanks
It is hard. What do you do to fill those little holes?
Ca, sanding sealer and dust?
Phil

I have huge numbers of Brown Mallee Burl ,it is the most wonderful of timbers ,stable etc ,mind you with such a choice I do not bother with rubbish in any timber,next time I can I will take pics of a random number of these blanks.

Peter.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Very nice pieces Neil, reminds me I have some logs to cut up but the council have cut back on green collections which means that I can't get rid of the mess after doing so.

Black bagging the chippings at the moment Derek. The tips are shut and our lot won't allow them in the green waste:crap:

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
I have a single garage that's stuufed to the gunnels with...well all kind of goodies / stuff so spent the first 2 days of this week pulling everything out, sorting a bit, throwing a little away ( the hardest part :goesred:) and putting it all back. A long, long way to go yet. :ciggrin:

Today spent cutting the grass which took a hell of a long time and some tidying outside - I'm knackered!
So you’ve just re-arranged the mess then Bob.:funny:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Us very elderly get preferences at a cost at the green tip so far.The tip receives for free they use a private firm who sells green waste. Heaps of great colour in the keepers.

Peter.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Well the veg patch is now all dug ready for the season. Now to just dig the bed in the greenhouse as that can be done on a wet day if needed. Trying to cut some very small parts for the bowl I am working on.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Cutting pieces of ali into musical notes as well as making some bread.

As can be seen the piece by itself needs remaking also shown 1 of the pieces which need all the bits cutting out and then a small amount cut and filed they are all about 1" tall

Called into Bunnings yesterday, all the veggie and herb seedlings sold out.:rant:

Our local supermarket has a stand for seeds plenty of flower seeds but near to nothing on the veg side

Attachments

• 20200329_195658 (600x800).jpg
    20200329_195658 (600x800).jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200328_163639 (600x800).jpg
    20200328_163639 (600x800).jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20200331_192331 (800x600).jpg
    20200331_192331 (800x600).jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 43

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Cleared one log pile yesterday and made a firewood pile which I split today.
The very last round wouldn't split so bandsawed it and found some hidden burr!

pile (1)_640x480.jpg

pile (2)_640x475.jpg

piles (1)_640x376.jpg

piles (2)_640x480.jpg

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Always nice to see what can be found inside wood. Should be nice once turned how big are they

Only small bits Derek, I might get a couple of small bowls but the rest will probably end up as pen blanks.

andyl

First Name
andrew
Ain't got a workshop no more. Spent the last couple of months clearing all the machines and tools into the garage, knocked down the old workshop. Spent hours removing old tree stumps with frequent trips to the recycling center.
Landscapers were due in middle of last week to start the transformation and lay the new concrete base for new workshop.
And then 'lockdown'
Gutted. Gutted Gutted.
Ain't a clue when I'll get things back on track.
To top it all off I've spent the last six weeks in total agony with acute knee pain. Just been told its good old gout.
Anyway despite the governments warning its back to work for me next week. Seems shareholders and profits come before human life.
Now all I need is for the redundicies to start - which are bound to come in the light of the current oil war and price.
:sob::sob::sob:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Spent some more time at the weekend continuing to sort out my jungle of a workshop. Uncovered my planer/thicknesser from under all the stuff dumped on top of it.

There's a fair bit of rust on it here and there, so I'll have to find a way of dealing with that, although it looks pretty superficial. I ran a couple of pieces through it though, and I'm pleased to say that the knives still seem razor sharp, and it all worked ok. I have some anti rust stuff somewhere - I'll have to hunt it down.

planer.jpg

MarkW

Working from home full time so no workshop for me at the moment. :-( Haven't made a pen in over 18 months

geordie0928

Graduate Member
First Name
John Joseph
This lock down has given me time to keep me busy during this isolation thing, I have gone back to making guitars. This is one I started about 7years ago before I had a stroke luckily I got most of it done, only the hardware and the neck to fit. Then it is off to my Grandson to learn to play on.

guitar 1.jpg guitar 2.jpg guitar 3.jpg guitar 4.jpg

:wink::wink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).