• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Keeping busy

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Having a wonderfull day,slayed the ghosts of a machine past with new hope and started further mods.Excited to find a 3-4 inch bench top in a shed destined for the workshop now.Seeing the colour laminated pen from Bill I remembered I have a couple of blocks of this sort of material as I make my way through the workshop.Stumbled on some more Elm Burl Pen Blanks and Needlewood blanks from the far distant past,Northern Territory rare wood,stray Red Mallee Burl,Brown Mallee Burl and a glued up Bud Vase in the house waiting for its time to form.My Vacuum Pump arrived ready to use in the 4 wheel draining the sump,memories of ramps to get under to the sump plug erased happily now.!5 mins to change the oil and filter appeal to me.It holds 9 litres of oil the car 8 litres,the suction tube goes to the lowest part of the sump.

Happy day......Peter.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
A veritable showroom Neil.

The only time my workshop has looked as spic and span as that is..... well, it never has I don't think.

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
Yes it is.
Had another look under a magnifying lamp and can see 'brown'
Thanks
It is hard. What do you do to fill those little holes?
Ca, sanding sealer and dust?
Phil

Coffee grounds are OK but only 1 colour and not for very small holes also they fall out later etc so you might want to get some of these Liberon Filler Stick Shellac Online Wood Finishing South africa .

If you havent used them before you melt a small bit so as it drops into or onto the hole, then heat up a flat edge metal tool (in my case I use the end of a metal 10cm ruler with a small blowlamp) and use the hot tool edge to both push the molten shellac into the hole, smooth it and remove the excess. Then it becomes one with the wood and will take all finishes.

Skil Phil

Coffee grounds are OK but only 1 colour and not for very small holes also they fall out later etc so you might want to get some of these.
If you havent used them before you melt a small bit so as it drops into or onto the hole, then heat up a flat edge metal tool (in my case I use the end of a metal 10cm ruler with a small blowlamp) and use the hot tool edge to both push the molten shellac into the hole, smooth it and remove the excess. Then it becomes one with the wood and will take all finishes.
Thanks, never thought of using them. Bit pricey though but then isn't everything. Will order one to try.
Phil

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Well, another day folks and more to do in the DLWoodart studio OK my tiny shed:funny:

Hope all is well with you all. yesterday I managed to sort out a turning that needed a small fill job in a crack before I work on the decoration, as well as that rough turned a piece of rubbish pine so that it had 5 different diameters to put wire around for the musical notes bowl.

Normal jobs like keeping the greenhouse tidy and watered as well as replacing the auto openers which no longer worked.

Attachments

• 20200422_153530 (1024x768).jpg
    20200422_153530 (1024x768).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 33

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Some nice pieces there Frederick done well on the rim of the bowl

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Dont do him down, well done on the rim of the bowl (I hate painted wood) but also well done on the finish inside!!

As for the rest on the ceiling well perhaps he should emigrate to Australia!! :rolling:

Pierre I did not put Frederick down as he knows I enjoy decorating some of my pieces and we both have been in contact with each other on the phone and messages. We have had some very enjoyable chats

Frederick has come along in leeps and bound with his turning and I also have had the pleasure of seeing some of his work and like many of us still learning as I am as well

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I think I miss understood Pierre's comment so I apologise to [MENTION=1143]Pierre[/MENTION]

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).