• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

***kin Olive

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Hi All,
I have a colleague who has a property in Cyprus, he has bought back some Olive wood for me to make pens with, well if these first two are anything to go by...... Its 500 years old and as dry as a prune, a lot of surface shakes and splits, so sharp tools, slow cuts and a liberal amount of CA... Just to turn them! IMG_20220331_144344.jpgIMG_20220331_144455.jpg

Geoff Kent

Graduate Member
First Name
GEOFF
Lovely job there Mark.Olive is such a wonderful timber and yes,the aroma is gorgeous.If the timber is bone dry you could try brushing olive or finishing oil on the blanks until no more oil is absorbed.This may rejuvenate the wood and should make turning easier.Use finishing oil as the final finish,it takes a fair amount of time but looks good and is pretty hard wearing.

Padster

Graduate Member
First Name
Paddy
I think they look great, never had the pleasure or challenge maybe of olive wood, but I like those :thumbs:

Padster

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
Those results Mark are one of the reasons I look up to and respect your skill (you rank in my top three) :drool::drool:

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
Lovely job there Mark.Olive is such a wonderful timber and yes,the aroma is gorgeous.If the timber is bone dry you could try brushing olive or finishing oil on the blanks until no more oil is absorbed.This may rejuvenate the wood and should make turning easier.Use finishing oil as the final finish,it takes a fair amount of time but looks good and is pretty hard wearing.

Would that work with all wood types or just Olive?

Geoff Kent

Graduate Member
First Name
GEOFF
Hi Gary,nice to see you back.Yes,you can use oil to rejuvenate many dried out timbers.The drier the wood the more oil will be used.Apply until it "sits" on the surface then leave to be absorbed.Reapply when dry and repeat until no more oil is soaked up.Oil is also good if you have problems with end grain fluffing up.Apply some oil,leave to dry then carry on turning.The fluffing up should be considerably reduced.
Oils to use are Danish,finishing,Tung etc.Do NOT use vegetable oil eg Rapeseed.It will go rancid and smell awful.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).