• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Kitless Questions

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
So Ive done a sketch based on a #6 Bock Nib and Housing and my thought is that its going to be a fairly chunky pen with cap diameter of approx 15mm. This is based on a 12mm tap for the cap / body.

Im thinking the #5 may be a better option to give a bit more flexibility in shaping the section and allowing a bit more wall thickness when drilling / threading. Would be grateful to hear the thoughts of others in this regard. :thinks:
I've just said this to you in an email Ian, so forgive me for saying it here too, but everyone can read it then, and I've seen your drawings, which they haven't.

A 15mm cap is not big by any means. You are possibly just used to seeing size 5 pens, which makes you think that 15mm is too big. Your drawing shows a 1mm overlap all round, which is just fine in my opinion. One of the most popular commercially available fountain pens on the planet is a Jinhao X750, which in itself is more or less a direct copy of a Pelikan, which conforms more or less exactly to your outside diameters, so I really wouldn't worry about it. You are on the right track.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
A very informative thread - I've been thinking of having a go at kitless, but was facing the same issues as Ian, so this thread has helped a great deal.

I am interested to see whether a kitless could be easily turned on a Precision Pro lathe though - I would have thought the ER20 collet system too small to be able to hold the blanks without a lot of modification....or am I missing something?

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
The ER20 chuck takes a maximum collet size of 13mm so yes, it is a bit limiting. Its a shame Axminster didn't fit the PP lathe with an ER32 chuck which takes collets up to a much more useful 20mm.

Burt25

First Name
Ian
A very informative thread - I've been thinking of having a go at kitless, but was facing the same issues as Ian, so this thread has helped a great deal.

I am interested to see whether a kitless could be easily turned on a Precision Pro lathe though - I would have thought the ER20 collet system too small to be able to hold the blanks without a lot of modification....or am I missing something?

I have the precision pro and I think it should work for shaping the outside of barrel and section- I am going to make a mandrel with a threaded end out of corian or something similar which I can slip into a 13mm Collet so I can then screw on my barrel, cap section etc for shaping / finishing. For drilling though I think I will be using my big lathe. I believe Axminster are looking into supplying a clutch for this lathe as they have ben inundated with requests so that would give much greater flexibility.

Burt25

First Name
Ian

I had been thinking of getting a thread adapter machined for my precision pro to allow it to take a Proxxon chuck which id M16 x 1 Thread. Ive looked online but cant find an off the shelf adapter. Fitting a small 4 jaw cuck like this would open up a lot more possibilities for this lathe.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
I've actually bought one of these lathes recently, and think it's a great lathe. I really like it's small size (I'm very limited for space), but the small collet system is it's main drawback for me. It would be nice to be able to use a small sized chuck. I know Axminster originally said that they were going to make one for it, but the lathe has been out a while now, and I'm wondering whether they've quietly shelved the idea. Maybe a small group buy of some kind of adaptor would be an option?

Burt25

First Name
Ian
I've actually bought one of these lathes recently, and think it's a great lathe. I really like it's small size (I'm very limited for space), but the small collet system is it's main drawback for me. It would be nice to be able to use a small sized chuck. I know Axminster originally said that they were going to make one for it, but the lathe has been out a while now, and I'm wondering whether they've quietly shelved the idea. Maybe a small group buy of some kind of adaptor would be an option?

I'm seeking quotes from some local metal engineering companies for an adapter, but if there was interest in a group buy it's likely it would be cheaper to buy in quantity.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
I would certainly be interested, but the problem with an adaptor is that it would reduce the, already short, working length across the bed. Also I'm not sure that the Proxxon chuck (and jaws) would meet my needs - I'll have to have a look.

What would be ideal would be a small chuck, like Record's RP2000, which takes an insert. I know that Record's SC4 chuck does just this, so you could just buy the blank insert and get it threaded for the Precision Pro lathe....however, I guess the SC4 is too big. Does anyone know of a smaller chuck which takes inserts like this?

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
What do you mean when you say it takes inserts Mel? Are you referring to the screw chuck it comes with? What am I missing?

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Hi Phil, I'm talking about this chuck 62063 SC4, Insert Thread, With 62572 Face Plate (Includes Insert) and when you click to buy it, you choose the insert that fits the thread of your lathe (rather than the chuck already being threaded). One of the inserts you can get with it is a blank, so you can get it threaded for the thread you need.

I'm sure there are other chucks which use this system, but I don't know if there any chucks small enough to be useful on the Precision Pro lathe.

Hope that makes sense...I just make pens, I don't know all of the technical jargon :wink:

Burt25

First Name
Ian
I would certainly be interested, but the problem with an adaptor is that it would reduce the, already short, working length across the bed. Also I'm not sure that the Proxxon chuck (and jaws) would meet my needs - I'll have to have a look.

What would be ideal would be a small chuck, like Record's RP2000, which takes an insert. I know that Record's SC4 chuck does just this, so you could just buy the blank insert and get it threaded for the Precision Pro lathe....however, I guess the SC4 is too big. Does anyone know of a smaller chuck which takes inserts like this?

I agree it's not ideal and I've been searching the Internet for alternatives. I love the precision pro but I can't understand why axminster haven't made a chuck for it while putting a thread on the headstock which isn't compatable with anything else. Seems they want to have exclusivity on accessories and then they don't give you any options for accessories!:thinks:

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
I believe the Nova G3 also uses this system of threaded inserts, but I don't know the size of the chuck...but if it's a smaller one I'd certainly be interested in buying it along with a blank insert and having it threaded to fit on the Precision Pro.

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
I believe the Nova G3 also uses this system of threaded inserts, but I don't know the size of the chuck...but if it's a smaller one I'd certainly be interested in buying it along with a blank insert and having it threaded to fit on the Precision Pro.

Both of the Nova G3 chucks I have were pre-made with thread for the lathe spindle and were available in different sizes. Inserts are available but they increase the overall distance of the chuck from spindle on the lathe, at least one of the inserts I had did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Great set of responses that will have you in the way.

What I would say to start off with is to start with a simple kitless.

Check this out which I did earlier this year. http://www.penturners.co.uk/turning-pens/19002-simple-kitless.html

I agree it's not ideal and I've been searching the Internet for alternatives. I love the precision pro but I can't understand why axminster haven't made a chuck for it while putting a thread on the headstock which isn't compatable with anything else. Seems they want to have exclusivity on accessories and then they don't give you any options for accessories!:thinks:

As for Proxxon chucks, look for engineering chucks rather than woood turning chucks.

Chronos do a selection of chucks that all you need to do is replace the back plate with one that can be threaded to suit you lathe.

They even do blank back plates fairly cheaply to enable you to have this done.

If you don't have a metal lathe then a good engineering company would do it for you.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Great set of responses that will have you in the way.

What I would say to start off with is to start with a simple kitless.

Check this out which I did earlier this year. http://www.penturners.co.uk/turning-pens/19002-simple-kitless.html

As for Proxxon chucks, look for engineering chucks rather than woood turning chucks.

Chronos do a selection of chucks that all you need to do is replace the back plate with one that can be threaded to suit you lathe.

They even do blank back plates fairly cheaply to enable you to have this done.

If you don't have a metal lathe then a good engineering company would do it for you.

Wonderful help and seeking precision is always to be commended, top advice. Peter.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I click on the link in Eamonn post and get this.:sob:

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
Some of the photos that went missing in January are still waiting to be restored I'm afraid Mark.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).