• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Legacy of Eunice!

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
The benefits of getting divorced, I’ve inherited a step son who is an engineer who works for one of the regional tree clearance/surgeon outfits and he keeps dropping bits off! This is some of the largest plum I have ever seen, and it has, surprisingly, no rot. I think I’ve ended up with most of this tree, about 12 rings. Kept me busy on the bandsaw, still about 4 rings left. These bits weren’t the biggest!
8C881873-C4D7-4413-B577-67198D62036F.jpg

Attachments

• F4659377-980C-480D-BA07-8AFCE18D0335.jpg
    F4659377-980C-480D-BA07-8AFCE18D0335.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 38

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
Neil I have found that if you edit the picture in some way and save it you'll not have any posting problems. Sometimes all I do is rotate the picture and then back again. That's enough.

Looks like you are just plum lucky.

Pete

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Some good looking pieces there Neil, I assume you’ll be knocking out some bowls etc and not just pens.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Some good looking pieces there Neil, I assume you’ll be knocking out some bowls etc and not just pens.

Keith, just the largest section left to put through the bandsaw, cut a lot of 8 x 3 blanks, 6x3x3 box or vase blanks, don’t make pens out of this stuff, looks fantastic at the moment but it will fade as it dries. Been down barely a week and checks already appearing but have taken out 3/4 inch either side of the pith and cut most of the sap wood off. Although the sap is down at this time of year it’s absolutely sopping wet so will weigh and mark about ten of the blanks to set as a benchmark to monitor the drying, will inevitably lose some as its prunus, but hopefully quite a bit should end up ok.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Thanks for that Neil. I was given some plum off cuts which I cut and left to dry and had splitting at the ends fairly quickly. I must get in the garage when it gets warmer to see how it’s doing. My intention is to make a ukulele out of it.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).