• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Lessons

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Hi All,
As part of my teacher training I have various assignments to do, this one is a 15min micro teach. Easy I thought I'll do pen turning, well after I have broke the process down into 8 sections
-blank choice
-kit choice
-drilling and glueing
-turning
-finishing( don't get me started on CA)
-assembly
-costing and marketing (#@??)
-kitless
I have 2 minutes a section,
There must be something easier :think:

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Thats not bad going getting it down to 2 min a section...
You need to add an extra 1 min to one of them to get your 15 min in though :scratch_head:
2x8....was 16 when I went to school....plus my introduction....I need to skip sections.....:funny:

Don't forget I need to have 'inclusivity', 'British values', 'non gender specific' and 'neurodiversity' included within my topic...

Morse

Graduate Member
First Name
Dave
Hi All,
As part of my teacher training I have various assignments to do, this one is a 15min micro teach. Easy I thought I'll do pen turning, well after I have broke the process down into 8 sections
-blank choice
-kit choice
-drilling and glueing
-turning
-assembly
-costing and marketing (#@??)
-kitless
I have 2 minutes a section,
There must be something easier :think:
-blank choice. Dark wood or dark Acrylic. 30 seconds
-kit choice. Chrome, single tube, Sirocco or NOTUS. 60 seconds
-drilling and glueing Prepared before and after blanks. 30 seconds
-turning Ahh, again, before and after blanks. 60 seconds
-finishing Single tube, uncle Phil’s melamine. 60 seconds
-assembly 45 seconds, (your rushing)
-costing and marketing (#@??). Cost of kit and blank plus 50%. 30 seconds
-kitless. Mention but don't go there.Or to fountain pens. 60 seconds

6 mins 15 seconds, time for questions. :thumbs::thumbs:
Tea and biscuits time.

Dave (Tongue in cheek)

Padster

Graduate Member
First Name
Paddy
Back in the day - I did my football coaching badges, and you say it's a Micro teach - well I was introduced to a methodology I still try and use today when presenting (in the corporate world).... KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid!)
At 15 mins you don't have the time, are you doing this 'live' with props or using powerpoint?
Either way I would strip it right down and say you're giving an overview with some steps skipped to give a flavour and introduction to the techniques, but will happily give more in depth coverage at a later date should people be interested...
That would leave me covering...
-blank choice
-kit choice
-turning
-assembly
and finally a nod to the dark art of kitless,
With a minute for intro, roughly two minutes per section, a minute for kitless, a minute to wrap up - this gives 13 mins but I'm certain you could still run over the 15....

JMHO

Padster

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Cheers Padster,
It's getting cut right back, I can have power point, but will have props as my preferred method. I will have various lesson plans to do, so can do a plan for 6 sessions and use this micro teach as an overview or taster.....we don't realise how involved it actually is until we step back :blahblahblah:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Good luck with that Mark.

When I did mine as a part time college lecturer I tied a fishing fly. No time for powerpoint but as the subject is very small I rigged up a camera to a screen above me, put my watch on the table where I could see it and it worked well.
I spent an hour after the whole session answering questions though.

Morse

Graduate Member
First Name
Dave
There you go. Teacher training item Eight, Kitless, 30seconds.

“can answer this,
This is a kitless fountain pen...Ash makes the various components his self (other than the pen clip and medallion in the cap) it's the next level turning.
You need to turn, thread and dimension the various parts, cap, body and nib assembly, Ash also threads the finial caps ( coloured ends) to fit his silver accents. It gives much more flexibility to shape and style, size of the pen and nib.”

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
I wouldn’t even try to explain how to make a pen because of the time constraints.

I’d simply hold a pen aloft and say “I made this” and then explain why I made it, rather than how.

The pleasure of making, sharing ideas and gifting. To me that’s the best lesson you could give.

Anyway, whatever you do, good luck! I’m sure you’ll nail it.

Cheers
Ash

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
How did it go Mark?
Or is it pending?
Good luck
It's pending....
8th March...
It's an interesting concept, a micro teach,
You have to do lesson plans, guidance notes, along side the actual presentation...its a lot of work for 15 minutes

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
Mark,
Glad it's you and not me, being an old codger if I was doing it would be the whole afternoon as I am very long winded.. . And people from the Emerald Isle have what's called the Gift of the Gab.......

Tom