• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Lost the plot

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
What a week, and it ain't over yet!

Ruined a beautiful cross-cut Yew blank and two driftwood blanks I'd stabilised and dyed :sob:

Need to be more careful, methinks :thinks:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
It happens to us all Graham mate. I burst a pine cone resin blank last week that my old mate Jim had made for me, gutted.

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
It's so annoying when you loose a blank, but it's just one of those things, sometimes it's a mistake on the turners part, and sometimes it's not, we have all been there Graham, carry on regardless. :thinks::sob:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
And you think that is bad try spending 3 hours on a bowl and have to return the rim to get a fresh piece of wood to start all over again. It is always that last bit of paint that does it

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
When I turn xcut blanks I always cut in from the ends towards the middle. This gives support to the short grain.if you turn as normal towards the ends of the blank you can push a short piece of grain off the tube. Result, one buggered blank. Light cuts, sharp tools. Better luck next time Graham.

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
Thanks for the very positive replies everyone, looks like I'm in good company :thumbs:

I expect you are still a wee bit dazed after those craftshop pens. Whisky is the answer Graham:bwink:

I think you may be right Phil, a nice single malt should do the trick :drool:

Is it a bit early though :thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).