• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Magnetic Tool Rest

L33

First Name
Lee
I've been having a few turning issues recently and it's more noticeable with fine work like pen making. I thought it was me then realised that the problem is with the tool rest. My tools are sticking too it slightly as it seems to be magnetised. I have another tool rest and that's fine...but it's smaller so there are times I can't use it and have to switch to the larger magnetic one.

Does anyone know how to demagnetise a tool rest? I've tried whacking it with a hammer but that hasn't helped :(

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
My way involves making a coil, many years ago I made some for my watchmaker mate when magnetised screwdrivers etc spelt big trouble suggest you Google.

Peter.

iandel

First Name
Ian
If it's steel you could put it on a non metallic surface and try hitting it with a hammer a few times, obviously avoiding the edge.

L33

First Name
Lee
Thanks...I'll try a few of those ideas and see what happens.

I think I may have inadvertently magnetised everything as Ive been using a magnetic tool holder...guessing thats the cause!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Over time I have been recovering powerful magnets from old microwaves try one of those they sure are strong. Curious go Google then U Tube where I noticed how to go about this. There are two magnets in each Magnetron. Also found in hard disks, ex computer ones.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).