• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Micro Mesh Pad Holder - Help Required!!!

L33

First Name
Lee
Hi all,

Few weeks ago I posted a video and on the video I'd made a Micro Mesh Holder (see pic). Ive since been asked if I can make these to order. The answer is Yes...and No. I hadn't planned on doing, but quite happy too if there is interest. Since making the holder, Im finding it really really useful but there is one drawback, and I'm not sure if its a big drawback or not...so thought id ask the experts on here :winking:

The holder is brilliant when the pads are dry. However, the holder is MDF, so it doesn't take kindly to water. So along as the pads are dry, the holder is fine. I don't use wet pads, so no issue. But Im wondering, do people mainly use their pads dry, or wet? Thats the first question.

Secondly, yesterday I went to a plastics supplier to get a price for a sheet of plastic...my thought was if the holder is plastic, its fully water proof and would basically last a lifetime. However, the plastic sheet I looked at was good, but several hundred pounds. That would mean the holder would have to be sold around £20. Too expensive I reckon. So I'm looking for an MDF alternative. Can anybody think of such an alternative?

Depending on the Wet/Dry answer, the holder would have to be able to resist water/moisture and be easy to machine. Therefore its important that the holder is solid...ruling out foams etc. MDF is great for dry only, and maybe I'll offer a dry only version. But the ultimate would be a wet/dry option. Im open to suggestions and if I consider any of the advice to be a contributing factor to the end product, I'll quite happily send a holder out when its finished.

Personal experience of using the holder has been great. Since using the holder, I haven't lost a pad and they are always kept in the correct order. I can find the exact pad I need at an instant, especially as the colour chart sits next to the pad for reference. I don't always use the pads in one continuous order so its also good for just selection that one grade of grit I need. All these points make me believe its a holder/project well worth me following up....and keeps me busy when not pen turning.

As above, any help, suggestions, feedback from you guys/gals would be appreciated...good or bad. Its my belief that anything that can reduce the stress out of any hobby, job etc is a project worthwhile pursuing.

View attachment 32731

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
I use mine wet. Corian sounds like a great idea Mark. The only other thing I had thought of is whether one could effectively coat the MDF in polyurethane lacquer sufficient to make it waterproof, but to be honest Corian sounds a better idea.

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
you would be better trying to find some offcuts from a user. Ray had some on here to get rid of- he may still have some. Where up north are you?

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Beaten to it with the Corian suggestion :love_it: Where "up North" are you? If you're anywhere near me I can give you a bit to try.

Your best bet as long as you aren't bothered about colour, which I wouldn't see as an issue is to look for a couple of local Kitchen / bathroom companies who fit the material as they usually skip the offcuts. A few complimantary pens would probably secure a regular supply.

One thing to be aware of though is that Corian is only a brand name even though the best known and there are a number of very similar materials in the market, Mistral is one available in 12mm and 25mm thick. Just google solid surface worktops and discount the granite,hard stone products and you're left with what you need. Isf it can be worked with a router, it's ok.

L33

First Name
Lee
Thanks guys...ive just realised that a friend of mine is a kitchen worktop machinist...all he does is cnc worktops...so Im gonna give him a bell. Im hoping he could be the solution for some Corian offcuts to try. I know he has a huge CNC and I just presumed it was for wooden worktops...guessing that may not be the case. :)

I'll give this stuff a try an report back :) Thanks for the thoughts on materials...be good to try something different.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I keep mine in a bag and always put them away dry after letting them dry as I only use them wet. I mark the edges with Roman numerals so I know what order they need to be used

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Solution was at hand. My searching years ago yielded quantities of Corian using investigation of the companies that use it rather than the main dealers in the area who all seem intent on hoarding not sharing.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).