• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Micromesh v Burnishing Cream

mick the pen

I always use a quality wax such as auto glym or maguires for the final finish, as burnishing cream or cutting paste need finishing wax to protect the finished article.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Right - got it, that's why the seat of my trousers is so shiny?

Canberra is the seat of Govt here in Australia and an old joke from forever back what is the definition of a Public Servant ...He who wears his trousers out notwithstanding.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Walter, grateful you opened up this discussion on finishing a lot of commonsense has flowed onto the forum as a result giving real progress IMHO I have noticed a lot of Corian that at first blush looks even dreadful comes up to exhibition standard whilst in some sheets the colour is not fully infused evenly through the material, guess there are Mondays and Fridays making Corian and Casting blanks as well.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Interesting thread!:thinks:

I have only turned a couple of acrylics and a mistral (corian) but am lucky enough to have aquired from my old days in plastics distribution, some perspex no 1 and no 2 polish. This worked very well on the materials I turned but I haven't made any comparisons - me being a newbie like:nooidea:

The perspex stuff was produced specifically to bring a dull finish to near perfect factory gloss on cast acrylic. Was 25 years ago so maybe things have moved on a pace?

Bob

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Fellow
I have always used Micromesh, TCut and Mer Wax up to now. I might move over but first a question.:bwink:
What brand of burnishing cream is recommended by the forum?

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Brian, nope that's not your bog floor, that is corian, I've made one pen from your piece and got another one or two left. Got to say that I preferred turning your concoction, it wasn't quite as dense as the corian

No Picture didn't happen, you know the rules Neil.
What happened to my bog floor?

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I have always used Micromesh, TCut and Mer Wax up to now. I might move over but first a question.:bwink:

Hi Rowdy

I used Mylands on the piece in this thread, but I also have Chestnut and to be honest I can see no difference, they both produce a good finish. However, I don't think there is anything wrong with your current system.

Interesting thread!:thinks:

I am lucky enough to have aquired from my old days in plastics distribution, some perspex no 1 and no 2 polish.

Hi Bob

I have used Xerapol which is supposed to be for removing scratches from perspex with good results so I would expect perspex polishes to be good too.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no

Save your money Rowdy you wont get any better results mate in fact I think Tcut is better than burnishing cream personally after all it is designed to burnish paint so in effect it is a burnishing cream the same with the halfords product Jim & Terry use

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Save your money Rowdy you wont get any better results mate in fact I think Tcut is better than burnishing cream personally after all it is designed to burnish paint so in effect it is a burnishing cream the same with the halfords product Jim & Terry use

I agree with this I use the French version of it as it was to hand but still use micro mesh

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess

Wouldn't have said there was much in it money wise mate, 500 ml of Chestnut burnishing cream is around the £9.50 mark normal retail & you can usually get 10% off if you wait for an offer at Turners Retreat or the like, the 3 tubes of T cut would give you 450g.
I used to use a car cutting paste like T cut but found it would go hard in the container over time where as my present bottle of burnishing cream is about 6 years old & shows no signs of setting. It's also runnier than the cutting paste I used to use, that may be why it hasn't set, but it's certainly economical as it goes a long way hence why I've had it such a long time.

Just my 2p's worth & certainly not meaning to disagree :frenchkiss: & as I said earlier in the thread they are all only abrasives the finer the abrasive the higher the shine.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Wouldn't have said there was much in it money wise mate, 500 ml of Chestnut burnishing cream is around the £9.50 mark normal retail & you can usually get 10% off if you wait for an offer at Turners Retreat or the like, the 3 tubes of T cut would give you 450g.
I used to use a car cutting paste like T cut but found it would go hard in the container over time where as my present bottle of burnishing cream is about 6 years old & shows no signs of setting. It's also runnier than the cutting paste I used to use, that may be why it hasn't set, but it's certainly economical as it goes a long way hence why I've had it such a long time.

Just my 2p's worth & certainly not meaning to disagree :frenchkiss: & as I said earlier in the thread they are all only abrasives the finer the abrasive the higher the shine.

They also do the 500g bottle for £5 Doug http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&a...w:search|crid:33910835764|dvc:c|adp:1o1|bku:1

mick the pen

cutting pastes dont have the protective ingredients in them like finishing wax, if you cut the paint back on your car and dont seal it with wax it will just dull up again.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
cutting pastes dont have the protective ingredients in them like finishing wax, if you cut the paint back on your car and dont seal it with wax it will just dull up again.

You may have a point there Mike what finishing wax do you use

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil

Mick,

I take it that this is in response to my question as to why you suggest that you need to use wax after using burnishing cream? If paint dulls on a car when not sealed I can understand the need for wax, I take it that something like oxidisation will have happened to the exposed paint, but surely this doesnt happen to acrylics?

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Mick,

I take it that this is in response to my question as to why you suggest that you need to use wax after using burnishing cream? If paint dulls on a car when not sealed I can understand the need for wax, I take it that something like oxidisation will have happened to the exposed paint, but surely this doesnt happen to acrylics?

A fascinating subject about which I know very little but would be interested to know more. Modern car paints are mostly acrylic based (AFAIK) so there may be some similarity in behaviour with the acrylic materials used in pen blanks, but other factors may also come into play like the environmental factors that car bodywork is exposed to such as exhaust fumes, salt, road dirt etc.

:thinks:

Edit: I usually protect all my pens with microcrystalline wax but I do it to reduce marking from fingerprints.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well I for one will give it a try once Mike tells us what he uses just to satisfy myself as I said it seems to make sense

Just found were you said what you use Mike and am ordering som thanks mate

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).