• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Morse taper chuck adaptor

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
All pie in the sky from over here. My experience with manufacture is its like the mating of Elephants, however a blink and it appears mass produced in China. Like penkits.

Peter.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I've been trying to find a 1 1/8x12tpi to 3/4x16tpi adaptor but never thought of a 2MT to 3/4 x16tpi. Is there such a thing? :thinks:

I don't know if that exists, but you could always buy a die and make your own.

Peter

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Can't you cut the 33x3.5 on your myford?

Peter

Yes I can and I have the right gears but the MT taper is the biggest problem for me as not got all my taper turning parts for that bed plate.

New ones and a replacement is OTT on price to warrant what I would get back. Sooner spend it on something that would be put to use straightaway rather than something that i get partial use.

Looked at even turning a taper to take the B16 and pressing a purchased MT in to it. Again that would have to be very accurate, again not a lover of that due to the problems of it coming off and not being able to draw bar the chuck in position.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Looking around what is an example of what can be made using this proposed metal object, pros spoken of. I burned thirty years of how tos and must make designs recently estimating the real cost of the original magazines at some scary figure, like new cars and add ons time to dream.

Peter.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Yes I can and I have the right gears but the MT taper is the biggest problem for me as not got all my taper turning parts for that bed plate.

New ones and a replacement is OTT on price to warrant what I would get back. Sooner spend it on something that would be put to use straightaway rather than something that i get partial use.

Looked at even turning a taper to take the B16 and pressing a purchased MT in to it. Again that would have to be very accurate, again not a lover of that due to the problems of it coming off and not being able to draw bar the chuck in position.

No need to turn your own taper, buy one of these and it is easy enough to machine the end so that you can add a thread of your choosing i.e. 33x3.5 and everything can be done so that it is true.

Peter

Themackay

Fellow
First Name
Alan
That Is what I intended using Peter will have to see if I can cut a m33 thread on my lathe if not Axminster sell a chuck hub m33 but it has 2 mounting holes drilled through it I have asked them if they could make without holes or just one hole say 16 mil and turn arbor down and assemble interference fit

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I can't help thinking a revolving adaptor would be more use, especially if it could be locked if required.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
That Is what I intended using Peter will have to see if I can cut a m33 thread on my lathe if not Axminster sell a chuck hub m33 but it has 2 mounting holes drilled through it I have asked them if they could make without holes or just one hole say 16 mil and turn arbor down and assemble interference fit

The trouble with the M33 chuck hub is that even if it had only one hole in it, it would be problematic to attach it to something and for it to be concentric. If you cut your own thread, at each stage, you can make sure everything runs true.

Peter

Themackay

Fellow
First Name
Alan
if Axminster were to make with hole already in it should be concentric, arbor turned to suit it should be concentric should it not or am I missing something

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
if Axminster were to make with hole already in it should be concentric, arbor turned to suit it should be concentric should it not or am I missing something

Maybe if Axminster made it, but do they do personalised engineering?

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).