• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Morse taper M3 down to M2

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
Is there a morse taper adapter to go from an M3 to a M2, yes thats right the wrong way.
I am sure i have seen one of these years ago but can find any mention on the normal places. I know it's not an ideal thing to do but that what i want.

cheers

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I know there is a 4MT to 3MT as I have one. I presume you mean like THIS or if you want to go the other way try THIS

monophoto

First Name
Louie
Little Machine Shop has three adapters:
ScreenHunter 185.jpg

Note that the thing they have in common is that the female side of the adapter is always smaller than the male side. That's a corollary to the rule that if you are turning a vessel, you can never make the inside larger than the outside.

I suppose a skilled machinist could make an adapter with the male side smaller than the female side, but that would necessarily mean that the two tapers would be end-to-end - that is, an adapter with the female side larger than the male side would necessarily be at least twice as long as a single taper alone. That could introduce problems with runout which may be why you don't see that configuration very often.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).