• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Mould material

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
What mould material do you guys use and where do you get it from. Also does it have a usable life in as much how many casts can you do before having to replace it.

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
I spend the weekend thinking about moulds and then two threads pop up asking things I've been thinking. Looking forward to the answers on this too.

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Well dunno about others but I use a very high tec mould and it is very re usable indeed!

mould.jpg

when you get fed up you melt em down lol
To hell with the price :ciggrin:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
For PR I use Vinamold it is not expensive and can be melted down again and again.

This is where I buy it, when I first bought it it was the cheapest stockist. It is not good for polyurethane resin, but is brilliant for PE. Yellow is the toughest and they sent me the Red even though I ordered the Yellow, but they told me to keep the red as it was their mistake and you can mix it, which I have done, PR releases without a problem.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The question is open ended a bit like how many kms do you get from such and such a tyre. People I know wreck their molds be careless use some get great numbers of uses. I like the type Peter uses sounds economic when it can be re melted and reused.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The question is open ended a bit like how many kms do you get from such and such a tyre. People I know wreck their molds be careless use some get great numbers of uses. I like the type Peter uses sounds economic when it can be re melted and reused.

Peter

I have two saucepans dedicated to melting the vinamold, I put a layer of sand in the larger pan then the smaller pan inside that on the sand and then fill the gap between the two pans with sand, it acts line a bain-marie and helps distribute the heat for melting the vinamold. I also use a digital thermometer with alarms so it will bleep when it gets to 100C so I don't burn it and can then keep a closer eye on it until it gets to the correct temp.

Peter

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Thank you guys the one Jim linked to is also the company that I get my resin from.

The silicone sealer moulds that I have seem to be expanding and the bottom of the mould is no longer flat this is the reason for going with proper material

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I still have to purchase /make moulds is the stuff you use ok for Alumilite Peter

No, it is not good for polyurethane resin, although I am fairly certain it would work with a release agent, but I haven't tried that as I prefer not to use a release agent as if the tubes touch the release agent the resin won't stick in that place.

If you are making a block mould then you don't have to stick with vinamold or latex just use the plastic cutting board material and cut it on the bandsaw and screw the pieces together, I will take a photo of some I have made.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
These are the mould in vinamould and I think made the others from HDPE.

Peter

VIS_0096.jpg
VIS_0097.jpg

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Seeing those Peter would Corian make good mould for polyester

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I am sure that's been asked before and I said, I don't think so, as I think the resin will stick to it, you could always try a bit of resin on a piece and see if it will separate. I seem to remember someone saying you could use corian if you use a release agent, but I would rather use hdpe even though I had to buy it. If corian works it would be cheaper as I have lots of it, but I also wonder if it would deform when the exothermic reaction takes place.

Peter

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I am sure that's been asked before and I said, I don't think so, as I think the resin will stick to it, you could always try a bit of resin on a piece and see if it will separate. I seem to remember someone saying you could use corian if you use a release agent, but I would rather use hdpe even though I had to buy it. If corian works it would be cheaper as I have lots of it, but I also wonder if it would deform when the exothermic reaction takes place.

Peter

They were the two things I had questions about

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I thought you had asked before about corian and I was right have a look here you will see that mark uses Corian with a mould release.

I wouldn't use a mould release as it could be problematic when stirring colours. I think it would be better to use thick builders polythene over each piece of corian before you screw it together, or you could get a nice thin even layer of silicon over each piece, but then you could do that with wood.

Peter

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I thought you had asked before about corian and I was right have a look here you will see that mark uses Corian with a mould release.

Peter

Blimey Peter that was last year I have been asleep since then:funny::funny::funny:

Looks like I will make the box out of corian then use one of the mould materials inside. I feel an order coming on

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I made a mould out of a chopping board, like you did Peter, the bloody resin stuck to the board and I had to cut it off with the band saw. :vangry::vangry:

I actually bought hdpe sheet which the resin doesn't stick to, but maybe the cutting boards in OZ are made from different material or you were unlucky that the board wasn't the right material.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).