• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

my first ever casting

jas46

Apprentice Member
First Name
jason
Hey all first post here and my first ever casting using polyester resin
this was a test buy to see if I would like doing it and even though my second pour I left too long to mix the colors I am chuffed and am going to order some more resin and mica colors
it's a steep learning curve but so much fun not knowing what it's going to turn out like till you turn it
:thumbs:
wp-image-1225195612jpg.jpg
wp-image-1629768833jpg.jpg

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Jason love your improvising with the cast throw away. The blank is sound and looks solid with no bubbles. I like the black in it improves the overall effect so well. Good intro post and welcome mate from over here,

Peter.

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Very well done Jason, I have just started casting too.
Btw, I would have taken a closer look at that second photo before posting. :thinks:

Macaronytony

Graduate Member
First Name
Tony
Nice one and welcome. Hope my first attempt comes out so well... :thumbs:

Second picture does look like you've go everything in hand... :goesred:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome to the Forum, nice first cast:thumbs:

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Jason love your improvising with the cast throw away. The blank is sound and looks solid with no bubbles. I like the black in it improves the overall effect so well. Good intro post and welcome mate from over here,

Peter.
By cast throwaway I mean the cheap plastic container means a fresh start always.

Peter.

jas46

Apprentice Member
First Name
jason
Thanks guys ����
I just finished lathing the other blanks down so I now have 3 18mm blanks, to be honest I wish now I had used a flat bottom container it had a deep lip so I lost a lot of material to make it round grrrr but hey you live and learn ��
was busy last night ordering up some mica colors and 5kg of resin, that should keep me going fow a little bit, must admit I can't wait to make some new ones
Couple of questions for all you experts out there
on my second pour I was trying to get black streaks through a yellow base but left the yellow too long and it wouldn't mix, what consistency am I looking for where I get less of the blending effect and more a solid line type ?

I mixed way too much black for that pour and now have a 1" thick 2 " dia block of it a whole block of yellow from my second pour which I messed up can I smash them in to tiny pieces and put in a mould and pour another color around it ?

Also when I order resin and it says 1kg is that 1kg of actual resin or 1kg inc the container? As the one I bought was 1kg but I only got 800 ish

Thanks

Jas

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It's difficult to describe what consistency you need, each time you do a pour write down what you have done and the time you have left it before you pour, black seems to go off quicker than other colours in my experience so be careful you don't leave it too long. You could also use ribbons of PR, just pour it onto a sheet of glass or plastic that it won't stick to and use a stanley knife to cut it into strips just as it sets, if you don't leave it to set fully it is far easier and you can then twist it and bend it as you want. Have a look here and you will see what I mean about ribbons.

Peter

jas46

Apprentice Member
First Name
jason
Spot on buckeye that I am definitely going to have a go at
I have started taking notes already, I worked in foam injection moulding for nearly 10 yrs so understand the importance of notes
must admit I gave the yellow a stir and thought to myself give it another min ....... that was 30 seconds too long lol I really must listen to the reason side of my brain that shouted mix it mix it
Thanks for the link I will be trying that method as soon as my molds are dry

Jas

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Spot on buckeye that I am definitely going to have a go at
I have started taking notes already, I worked in foam injection moulding for nearly 10 yrs so understand the importance of notes
must admit I gave the yellow a stir and thought to myself give it another min ....... that was 30 seconds too long lol I really must listen to the reason side of my brain that shouted mix it mix it
Thanks for the link I will be trying that method as soon as my molds are dry

Jas

Always remember to pour just before it is about to set and not a second too soon:funny:

Peter

jas46

Apprentice Member
First Name
jason
Hahaha I will get there, I knew I would mess loads up but that's the fun of it :thumbs:
now I'm off to smash up some yellow to try a crushed effect blank :thumbs:

Jas

jas46

Apprentice Member
First Name
jason
Thanks guys
I'm getting so impatient waiting for my mica colors to turn up lol
just want to crack on and make some more now I've been bitten by this and am trying to decide if I want to make some pens but not sure what kits to get, I don't want the plain cheap ones I just don't like them, I looking at the ligero fountain pen kit as it looks a nice solid pen

Jas

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).