• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My Hercus 9 Restoration.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Stay where you are going already and exhaust the Metal work forum on U Beaut in the Hercus section. Send PM,s to the guys that appear some have done many restos.I remember ages ago going through paint colours etc. There are some really skilled people in there. Then go to the internet where the questions will reveal restos galore in pics. I have memory of many but no you are far more familiar with the net than I am,good fortune Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I note that answers to all you have covered on this site have been well answered on the HMEM forum you are currently using. If you go back to U Beaut all the answers are there and in America a guy did step by step complete resto. This lathe is very close to the one I have and you have seen.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
U Tube,huge clues including several ways to remove rust etc ,using Google Complete rest of a 9 inch Hercus, then images where countless references are made to ninfo about the pics should keep you busy,occupied in the best way.

Peter.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
This looks very much the same as your lathe have a look about 8:00minutes in

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Thanks Derek, the S/Bend tailstock has square recess and the Hercus is dovetailed, I finally got the base off, now just got to get the cap of the end.
I have a copy of the US army S/Bend lathe manual, but it only show the S/B 10" tail stock not the 9".:vangry:

Cross slide is in parts ready for degreaser.

The bed is cleaned up, All the Hercus I have seen all have been paint red inside the bed except mine.

DSC_0184.JPG DSC_0165.JPG

Hang on whats this.

DSC_0208.JPG

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Yes.Copies of your model Hercus parts manual etc,similar to mine is available from the IAP Metal work forum entries in the past. My Hercus config I will check on.

Peter.

wm460

Grand Master
First Name
Mark
I back didn't realise it is over a year, got side tracked put a new roof on the house, ( I dont recommend falling of roofs).
Kicking dad out of his house, spent a far bit of the time up and down the track to quacks and hospitals, 1000 km and 500 km south.

My new year revolution is to get stuck in to restoring the old girl.
Why is it a girl, the clue is in the name. HERcus.:funny:

I am looking for the following bearings, can any one give me a heads up where I can get them from?

FRONT HEADSTOCK TAPER ROLLER BEARING
Timken 18685 with 18620 cone, complete assy
REAR HEADSTOCK TAPER ROLLER BEARING
Timken 14138A with 14276 cone, complete assy

wm460

Grand Master
First Name
Mark
When I pulled the counter shaft assembly apart both bushed appeared tight until I pulled it apart.

DSC_2192.JPG

I soaked these counter shaft bearings in degreaser then blasted it with a 3500 psi gurni, I found this , makes me think the bearings will be just as bad.

There are some parts the repeated soaking in degreaser and the gurney would not remove the baked on dirt and grease.

Sorry about the rust, I had it stored on the veranda, last weekend we had our first rain in over two years.

wm460

Grand Master
First Name
Mark
Whats your recommendations for painting preparation?
Unfortunately the photo doesn't show it but after scrubbing on of the bearings, in degreaser and detergent the buggered one, it still felt oily and water beaded on like on oily surface.

DSC_2203.jpg

Was wondering if electrolysis would work?

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
To whet your appetite I am selling many accessories some with the original packing grease on them ,a short list INDEXING turret TOOL HOLDER,DRIP CAN,sTATIONARY STEADY,MICROMETER SADDLE STOP,COUPLE OF CHUCKS,SET OF IMPERIAL COLLETS C/W HANDWHEEL DRAW IN COLLET ATTACHMENT,TAPER TURNING ATTACHMENT,MILLING ATTACHMENT, The idea is to sell these and other items and the lathe at another time. Full up with tasks following the hail damage recently,got the trailer ready together with the special towbar for my old Mercedes to enable me to clear out sheds by the dozen and accumulations of too many years. I will post pics of items when I can.I have a spare parts manual I will scan as you start on the different parts of your lathe,each section. This and the Hercus Text Book will go with the lathe.David Lim was to purchase everything but changed direction so the extras are still out of boxes etc.The first scan will be Tail Stock all models I figure having the proper name for the parts will help you in finding them.Also a copy of the inspection Record for my lathe in 1967. The machine number is 11493 Model A.

Kind regards Peter.

wm460

Grand Master
First Name
Mark
To whet your appetite I am selling many accessories some with the original packing grease on them ,a short list INDEXING turret TOOL HOLDER,DRIP CAN,sTATIONARY STEADY,MICROMETER SADDLE STOP,COUPLE OF CHUCKS,SET OF IMPERIAL COLLETS C/W HANDWHEEL DRAW IN COLLET ATTACHMENT,TAPER TURNING ATTACHMENT,MILLING ATTACHMENT, The idea is to sell these and other items and the lathe at another time. Full up with tasks following the hail damage recently,got the trailer ready together with the special towbar for my old Mercedes to enable me to clear out sheds by the dozen and accumulations of too many years. I will post pics of items when I can.I have a spare parts manual I will scan as you start on the different parts of your lathe,each section. This and the Hercus Text Book will go with the lathe.David Lim was to purchase everything but changed direction so the extras are still out of boxes etc.The first scan will be Tail Stock all models I figure having the proper name for the parts will help you in finding them.Also a copy of the inspection Record for my lathe in 1967. The machine number is 11493 Model A.

Kind regards Peter.

G'Day Peter,
I will be very interested in the above items
My old girl is a ARL was built in 1972 No 14148
I was lucky both the spare parts manual and the inspection record where in the cabinet, also have a scan of the 1970 Hercus Text Book.

PS make sure your trailer is registered,
I hired a trailer, went to Alice and back, just leaving Alice, got pulled over by the cops for having an unregistered trailer. $240.00 fine:vangry:

wm460

Grand Master
First Name
Mark
I cant win.
I thought I had two packets of Washing soda in the shed, used the last of the packet I had been using, went to the shed none there, serched where the missus keeps all her cleaning/ laundry gear none there.:vangry::vangry:

Go the the supermarket, chemist and hardware none in stock.:noman::madashell:

wm460

Grand Master
First Name
Mark
Now that I have the big parts of the bead and head stock cleaned up with citric acid, what would you do with the cracks and holes in the bog,
I have a can of spray bog, which will cover the cover the small small crazed cracks in third photo, should I get a can of bog for car panels and repair the damaged areas?P2270498.JPGP2270499.JPGP2270497.JPG

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
I can't speak for anyone else but I would sand, wire wheel, grit blast or gnaw it off mindful of any critical surfaces and apply new 'bog". Might as well do a good job instead of a half bottomed one.

Pete

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).