• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My Hercus 9 Restoration.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Timken 18685 with cone 18620 skumd452223.....57.76? 1438A with 14276 cone 34 pound 16 ex vat.

Bearing Basement. One way to go.:thumbs:

Peter.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I read some years back that many old machines had blow holes in some of the castings. These were just filled with putty of some sort and painted over. Primer filler spray is good stuff if you can get it. Car spares shops sell it in rattle cans over here.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
When I was down south I manage to buy the last can of car bog in Supercheap, never seen so many empty shelves in a car accessories shop.

Looking for some hints on mixing car bog, it says to mix 50 part bog to 1 part hardener.
I only need a desert spoon amount a time, my attempts at judging the mix have been failures.
First attempt went hard before I could use it.:vangry::vangry:
2nd 14 hrs later still soft, scrap it of and have another go.
3rd attempt 8hrs later still soft but harder than yesterday.:banghead::banghead:
Problem is I have plenty of bog and not much hardener. Why cant they give you some more:sob:

wm460

Grand Master
First Name
Mark
While I was in gaol I got back into my Hercus, before I came home, Bunnings and car accessories places had mobs of empty shelves, managed to get the last two tins of spray putty and the last tin of car putty.

After giving the cabinet and tray a citric bath, went over them with a wire brush on my angle grinder.

P4070015.JPG

Asked some one to get me a tin of Killrust Etch Primer.

wm460

Grand Master
First Name
Mark
Geez it been awhile finally got motivated again and got stuck into my Hercus 9. [MENTION=449]Dalboy[/MENTION].
Even here in the desert the bare metal covered still got a funny brown patina.:rant:

photo_2022-08-10_18-41-40 (Custom).jpg

I tried to get the rust out of the recess using a circular wire brush in a drill but cannot get deep enough, any ideas of how to get rid of it?

photo_2022-08-10_18-43-57 (Custom).jpg

Inside the bed painted, waiting for my mate to get back from Alice with the green paint so I can paint the out side.

photo_2022-08-14_18-24-09 (Custom).jpg

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Just old fashioned elbow grease or a smaller brush:whistling::whistling::whistling: Better still some cheap labour to do it for you:funny::funny::funny:

Is Sand blasting out of the question on the rough areas where paint will be applied

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).