• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My latest bowl blanks

iandel

First Name
Ian
DSCN1527.jpgDSCN1528.jpgDSCN1530.jpg

I am quite sad that this 300 year old oak tree in the village has just been felled by the local council as it was diseased. :sob: I have taken quite a few pieces although a lot would test my lathe to destruction. The stump is about six feet in diameter.

Themackay

Fellow
First Name
Alan
I hate seeing mature trees like this felled councils seem to be looking for any excuse to remove mature trees these days

iandel

First Name
Ian
I agree Alan. Looking at the tree although there are some slight signs of bracket fungus I am sure it would have outlasted me by a good few years before it became a danger. I think Councils are running scared of insurance claims etc. As far as I am aware (and I am following it up) the removal was done without due process - the variation to the tree preservation order was not put before the planning committee for consideration. Unfortunately that won't bring the tree back.

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
It is sad to see a very old tree cut down like that. Make some nice things out of the logs you've swept in a pile with that plastic rake Ian, then show those things to us. :sob:

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
How sad, so easy to fell, yet so long to replace!

It would make a lot of pens though :funny:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
A nice find for you and a good supply of blanks get as much as you can is all I can say. But like most it is a shame when trees like this are downed

iandel

First Name
Ian
Of course all the really nice bits were taken straight away by the tree surgeons for milling. I've taken as much as I could safely store but there are still piles left. They are leaving it until tomorrow and said that anyone who wants any can help themselves. :thinks:

Winemaker

Registered
First Name
Tom
Its so sad to see a tree like that taken down :sob: still you can make a few things to celebrate its life :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).