• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New Laptop Query.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
One of the real game changers of using an iPad for me is the built in camera. In the past I had to take pictures with my DSLR, transfer to the computer, edit and then upload to forum etc. It’s all done on the one device these days.
I’ve even seen folks walking around Rhodes old town and other holiday destinations taking photos with their iPads. :wink:

I used to laugh at a mate who took a laptop on holiday, mostly to back up his holiday snaps every evening, whilst everyone else was in the bar having a drink! :funny:

He still backs up his pictures every evening but these days he uses his phone instead. :wink:

monophoto

First Name
Louie
I just purchased a new (desktop) computer this week after my old box died suddenly last Sunday. While I prefer Apple for my phone, I still go with Windows for computers.

My use is similar to yours, but I had the challenge of having many decades of files stored on my old computer which had a 1TB hard drive. The problem is that conventional hard drive technology is considered obsolete and has been replaced by flash (SSD) memory - and for some reasons, computer manufacturers are putting less SSD memory into computers today compared with the size of hard drives they were using a few years ago. I ended up with half the memory that my old computer had - still enough if I do some housecleaning (which is much needed) and apply some self discipline (also not a bad idea).

The other issue you will face is that Microsoft has recently announced Windows 11, but computers that you buy today still have Windows 10. In the short term, that's not a problem - Microsoft has committed to continuing to support Windows 10 for at least five more years, and any new computer you buy today could be update to Windows 11 in the future. That said, a lot of people are wondering about Windows 11 - it doesn't seem to offer much of an improvement over Windows 10, so it's not clear why Microsoft chose to release it as a new operating system rather than simply incorporate the worthwhile features as part of a routine maintenance on Windows 10.

My suggestion is to find a nearby walk-in store with a reputation for good technical support, and talk with a sales person. Here in the US, my choice would be Staples, followed by Office Max, and BestBuy at the bottom of the list (in so many ways). Not familiar with the selection in your part of the world. Eventually, you will need to take the new computer back for routine maintenance, and have a local relationship is really helpful.

Last year, we bought a new laptop for my wife - she chose a middle-of-the line Lenova, but HP, Asus and Dell are also good brands.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Hard Disc drives are far from obsolete and are still the preferred choice for many for long term storage and backups. They are much cheaper than SSD’s as well. They are though rarely used in many computers these days because SSD’s are so much quicker. The downside as discovered is that due to the increased cost entry level computers often have rather small SSD’s.
Another option is a Chromebook. These normally have very modest built in storage because users files are expected to be stored in the cloud.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).