• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New lathe time!

GeordieB

Registered
First Name
george
Sounds like a great deal Adam I dont know anything about poolewood but listen to it running and ask if it can be returned if its faulty

ajmw89

Registered
First Name
Adam
So, been to have a look. It's the Euro 1500 model. Comes with a chuck and several different jaw sets. It's a bit of a beast. Reckon it's a good deal...
4358cbc62d41d35056c746e26c1be57b.jpg

964ee20f1784639c4efb669845e8f24b.jpg

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I can remember wanting one of them beast they were one of the best lathes a going back in there day

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Whats the height of the centre from the bed? It doesn't look to be very much. Have you taken that into account. It might not be important to you but I just thought I'd mention it.:bwink:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
It certainly looks the business and in good nick for that sort of money... even so I'd offer him £350 :thumbs:

ajmw89

Registered
First Name
Adam
Whats the height of the centre from the bed? It doesn't look to be very much. Have you taken that into account. It might not be important to you but I just thought I'd mention it.:bwink:
12" over bed, 38 between centres. As Walter has shown, it has an outboard. Apparently you can turn a 40" platter on the outboard...
The headstock swivels and it has an outboard rest Phil. :thumbs:

View attachment 12802

ajmw89

Registered
First Name
Adam
She's all mine, so will be picking her up this week, most likely Friday. Can't wait to put a big log on...

What are people's thoughts on bolting to the ground? I reckon it's about 130kg as it is...

If you do bolt your lathe down, what sort of bolt do I need to go in a concrete floor?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I use 3" raw bolts if your going to turn out of balance logs then I would most definitely bolt it down

GeordieB

Registered
First Name
george
I agree with Woody but make sure its set up bang on first I set mine up 2 years ago meaning to bolt it down still not got round to it. Its on the TODO list:wink:
I think you got a cracking bargin there Adam loads of fun to be had

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Adam How do we know what it will be sitting on if its concrete yes and a hammer drill and etc.

If you get and when you mount it on the floor give positive thought to the location in the workshop clearances from the wall etc. Proper power to the lathe. I would give a lot of thought to installing a sand box to hold the lathe firmly at the base dry. sand weighs heavy and can be contained in a ply wood box fixed to the base at either end ready made because it is direct drive should be nothing much under the lathe bed. Another cheap ballast is weights used by weight lifters in a housing under the lathe after mounting.

All preliminary steps now or regretsville. PS dont see a shaft in the tailstock is it fully wound in?

Peter.:goesred:

ajmw89

Registered
First Name
Adam
Thanks Pete. Spent the last 2 days clearing junk from the garage and moving stuff about to make room to site the lathe. The intended site has access directly to a plug socket. The floor of the garage is made of concrete, just need to measure how big the bolt hole is in the Base of the stand when I get the lathe. Probably bolt it down over the weekend.

ajmw89

Registered
First Name
Adam
Anyone know where I could pick up a chuck adaptor for my dakota compact scroll chuck? It's a 1" x 8tpi thread and it appears the thread on this lathe is 1 1/2" x 6tpi

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Anyone know where I could pick up a chuck adaptor for my dakota compact scroll chuck? It's a 1" x 8tpi thread and it appears the thread on this lathe is 1 1/2" x 6tpi

I think you might struggle to find a ready made adapter Adam. Neither The Toolpost or Axminster do that size. Sorby do an adaptor for the Patriot chuck in 1 1/2" x 6tpi, but the standard patriot thread is not 1" x 8tpi. If anyone can help it will be Peter Hemsley at The Toolpost.

Unless you know a friendly engineer who is prepared to make one for you getting one made to that spec is likely to cost nearly as much as buying a new chuck.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).