• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New lathe time!

ajmw89

Registered
First Name
Adam
I'm assuming it's that, as that's what the manual says. It comes with an Axminster precision chuck, I believe is the predecessor to the current evolution SK114 chuck.

I guess I'll have to wait and see. I could get in touch with Poolewood themselves, even though they don't make the lathe anymore. My main problem will be getting a short toolrest for doing pens... It seems the stem is a lot bigger than the standard 1"!

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I'm assuming it's that, as that's what the manual says. It comes with an Axminster precision chuck, I believe is the predecessor to the current evolution SK114 chuck.

I guess I'll have to wait and see. I could get in touch with Poolewood themselves, even though they don't make the lathe anymore. My main problem will be getting a short toolrest for doing pens... It seems the stem is a lot bigger than the standard 1"!

The Axminster precision chuck is a fine piece of kit. It is, as you say, the predecessor to the Evolution. All the jaws for the Axminster 100mm chucks will fit it. :thumbs:

As for the tool rest I would recommend The Toolpost as your starting point again. They do all the sorby modular sizes up to 30mm plus 30mm and 40mm inserts for 1" stems.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
1 1/2" x 6 was a common thread on older British made lathes. Harrison and Union Jubilee for example. According to this review by Mark Baker a 1 1/2" x 6tpi spindle was an option for the Poolewood. (1 1/4" x 8 was not)

Well so much for standardisation! :rolling: Nah, only joking ... that's a new one on me, but then I'm nowhere near as old as you, Walter!

:tongue::whistling::funny:

ajmw89

Registered
First Name
Adam
Cheers for the advice guys. Will let you know how it all goes. Picking it up friday, so will need to clean and oil it. Would chainsaw lubricating oil be good for the spindle/bedways, or should I get a certain type of oil?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I never use oil on my lathe beds or threads dust will stick to it like mad a bit of wax let it dry then buff it will do the trick the only grease I use on the headstock thread is a copper based grease to stop the chuck sticking on the headstock

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Cheers for the advice guys. Will let you know how it all goes. Picking it up friday, so will need to clean and oil it. Would chainsaw lubricating oil be good for the spindle/bedways, or should I get a certain type of oil?

I wouldn't as it not great with heat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Anyone know where I could pick up a chuck adaptor for my dakota compact scroll chuck? It's a 1" x 8tpi thread and it appears the thread on this lathe is 1 1/2" x 6tpi

Peter child's site say the same it an 1 1/2 whit

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex

Talk to a black smith I made one for my last lathe

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
And as for the chuck I would buy a versa chuck as you can get a back plate in the right thread and use anyone's jaws you want

Jim T

Apprentice Member
First Name
Jim
I've only just joined the forum and seen this.

I have the identical lathe and have been trying everywhere to get hold of a manual/handbook for it.

How much useful info is there in it?

I've been really happy with the lathe, but the speed control has been playing up a bit lately and the inverter has been cutting off the power randomly.

cheers Jim

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
If you do manage to find a manual, which I think is unlikely, it will probably be aimed at end users and thus lacking any information regarding fault finding in the inverter. You might be better off finding the make and model of inverter installed in the machine and seeking out a manual for that.

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
Just a minor point if you are going to bolt it down, unless you can guarantee the level floor you stand the chance of twisting the bed which will put the 2 points out on a kiss test in the middle. So as you fix it in you need to make sure that the drive centre and tailstock centre remain perfectly aligned as you fix it down so be prepared to shim the opposing corner legs to realign it if I goes out of alignment.

PG

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).