• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pair of Omega's in cross cut Sweet Chestnut

Freck Fraser

Graduate Member
First Name
Freck
Another pair of Omega's, this time in cross cut Sweet Chestnut, a few issues with wee knots, CA and sawdust to the rescue.
Same finish again, sanding sealer and then 3 coats melamine.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Great balls of fire mate you do like extending yourself these two are proof, difficult wildish coarse grain tamed.

Peter.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Oh!!

The first one has a "little nick" out of it just below the clip at the CB end, grain looks a little coarse on the first pen and doesn't look as well finished as the second pen.. or the others you have shown previous tonight.

View attachment 31607

Second pen is all good mate..:thumbs:

Freck Fraser

Graduate Member
First Name
Freck
Oh!!

The first one has a "little nick" out of it just below the clip at the CB end, grain looks a little coarse on the first pen and doesn't look as well finished as the second pen.. or the others you have shown previous tonight.

View attachment 31607

Second pen is all good mate..:thumbs:

Aye well spotted Eamonn, thats 1 of the bits I had to fill with sawdust and ca, I usually turn with carbide tools as I'm still getting used to gouges and find the carbides an easier tool to use but after watching Woodys video yesterday I decided to try using a skew and a roughing gouge on a pen blank for the first time, although the acrylic and the tiger oaks went not too bad I had great difficulty with this cross cut sweet chestnut, not sure if the term is pippy or knotty but there were a few voids and it seemed to be a total ******* to cut cleanly, even with freshly sharpened tools. I'll try it again as I have another 2 blanks, but not this side of xmas shall we say haha. Many thanks to all for the comments, esp the feedback.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
You done well mate x cut is harder to do than straight cut wood some times some of the grain pulls out or it can brake of completely I have always found the skew is the best tool for it and light cuts

clement

Graduate Member
First Name
Clement
An other nice pair ! Like Woody I allways use the skew for crosscut and difficult wood.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Sorry Freck I did not enlarge or in any way view your pens as well done over that grain mate, eyesight is no glasses driving at 82. Like the help Silver gives.

Peter.

Ratty

First Name
David
I worked some cross cut sweet chestnut a month or two back it pulls out really easily.
Putting CA on the end before turning stopped it tearing out while turning. Still a bit of a pain though, but nice results.

Dave

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).