• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pen assembly

martin.pearson

First Name
Martin
This has probably been discussed but since I am not very good at forum searches thought it best to just ask.

When you assemble twist pens that have a grain pattern that you are trying to match between the top & bottom sections of the pen how do you align the 2 parts? With the nib out as the pen would be used for writing or with the nib in as it would be when not in use? I guess you could always put a small note in with the pen explaining to the customer how to change it so they can decide for themselves lol

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
I’m a nib out man. I was always told to photograph my pens with the nib out & if you’re using the photos to promote your pens then the grain should match to show your pens at their best.

martin.pearson

First Name
Martin
I’m a nib out man. I was always told to photograph my pens with the nib out & if you’re using the photos to promote your pens then the grain should match to show your pens at their best.

Was there a reason for photographing with the nib out? I have assembled all the pens I have made with the nib in as a couple of others have said & I photograph them with the nib in so the grain matches.
Maybe I should try photographing with the nib out & see if I can get any sales doing it that way, of course it could simply just be that they aren't very good lol

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Slimline and streamline pens always look better with the nib out, it shows you have the correct length, that may be the reason Bill photographs them that way:thinks::thinks:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Nib in for me - on the basis that the pen spends far more time at rest than it does being written with. It tends to get studied and admired (and bought) in a retracted state, but when extended, it's being written with and judged for its ergonomics and writing ability, not for its aesthetics. I agree though, that for photos, it presents a bit of a paradox. Even so though, nib in for me.

martin.pearson

First Name
Martin
Always nib out for me for forty years my preference I always extend the nib when giving or showing.
:goesred:

If I am sending a pen out to a customer I generally send it with the Nib in rather than out which is probably why I tend to align them Nib in so their first impression when they view it is with it showing the grain at it's best.

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
Simple explanation personal choice what ever floats your boat we don't all have to be the same but put your bloody nib in LOL

CraftyNick

First Name
Nick
I always photograph with matching grain. I don’t have a nib out or in preference but always grain match for presentation.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).