• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I use a normal engineers drill press vice, you really don't need it to do anthing fancy and all the ones sold as pen blank vices that self centre or some other function lack the basic functionality of being bolted to the drill table and thus need to be clamped in position.

Something like this Axminster one with a v-slot will help keep the blank vertical:

Axminster Craft Drill Vices - Drilling & Milling Vices - Drilling & Milling - Machinery Accessories - Accessories | Axminster Tools & Machinery

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
The best way I've found is drilling the blank in the lathe. I mark and centre drill both ends and turn between centres and then put the turned (now round) blank in the chuck for drilling.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
My two Pen Presses. Main one a I Ton bearing press adjacent t5o where I turn sitting,at eye height easy to see and use. Behind me a Zylis Vice in simple form (it is a system of many parts) I use for longer needs.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCF0013.JPG
    DSCF0013.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 44
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).