• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
Any chance of a direct link to Tin Box as i cant find the right size.
I have been think (i do sometimes) about making small boxes but have not found suitable hinges small enough yet, they must be out there.

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
the problem is with making boxes such as that youtube one, is that they work out very expensive. by the time that you have found suitable timber, planed it and made the box, finished it etc, you are looking at a minimum of an hours workshop time. Assuming that you already have the router bit and other tooling. How much do you put your time in at- £10, £20, £30 etc.

If you are selling your pens, then the bought in boxes seem to be much better value for money.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Any chance of a direct link to Tin Box as i cant find the right size.
I have been think (i do sometimes) about making small boxes but have not found suitable hinges small enough yet, they must be out there.

For a starter for you Ken.

Hardware - Materials Online | Hobby.uk.com Hobbys

Take a look at the small box hinges, there is also small clasps as well. Hobbys and Hobbies are an old supplier that my Dad used to use so I have used them as well.

I have a few other suppliers but links on my home PC that I can post here if you want them Ken. Will do them later when I get back home if you want them.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.

Vintage style box hardwaredrawer pulls supply by LittleHardware

Etsy - Your place to buy and sell all things handmade, vintage, and supplies

Etsy - Your place to buy and sell all things handmade, vintage, and supplies

20mm x 12mmdecorative hinges metal. P19 by Gospodarochka on Etsy

(The etched hinges have gone up in price recently and not as good an offer as they were.)

A couple of boxes I have made recently.
View attachment 32556 View attachment 32557
View attachment 32558 View attachment 32559

the problem is with making boxes such as that youtube one, is that they work out very expensive. by the time that you have found suitable timber, planed it and made the box, finished it etc, you are looking at a minimum of an hours workshop time. Assuming that you already have the router bit and other tooling. How much do you put your time in at- £10, £20, £30 etc.

If you are selling your pens, then the bought in boxes seem to be much better value for money.

I know where you are coming from but if you set yourself up with a jig and standardise the boxes you could easily make one in around 15 to 20 mins. Then its just the finishing that will take time to dry.

However when the customer knows its also made by the same person making the pens its more of a total hand made package. That is my thought.

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
the last set of boxes I made took about two hours to make 10 (Not including glue set times) The trick is to leave the timber (pine in my case) in long lengths when cutting and routing.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
My view of pen cases are the same as for wrapping paper - serves just one purpose and then it's binned. With this is mind every pen I sell/give goes out in a velvet slide-in sleeve, ex Axminster. This is good way of reducing costs and waste.

Bob.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).