• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pen mandrels

noz

Apprentice Member
First Name
michael
Has anyone checked the accuracy of their mandrel? I tried mine with a dial gauge and it was miles out!!
I ended up throwing it away and made my own using an old 2 morse taper drill and a bit of round rod. I am lucky in that I have an engineering lathe as well as a wood lathe but I wonder whether I was just unlucky or not.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Mandrels can be trued with your knowledge of your metal lathe no biggy. Choose between centres make your own spacers etc. Problem solved.

Peter.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I made my own setup with a cheap Chinese collet chuck, some 7mm silver steel and a mandrel saver from Chronos. No bends so far.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I made my own setup with a cheap Chinese collet chuck, some 7mm silver steel and a mandrel saver from Chronos. No bends so far.

How did you bring the 7mm down to 6.22mm for the mandrel? Easier to buy machine bolts taking a brass tube as a guage, select the ones with short threads at the end

Peter.

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
How did you bring the 7mm down to 6.22mm for the mandrel? Easier to buy machine bolts taking a brass tube as a guage, select the ones with short threads at the end

Peter.
I made my own mandrel using some 1/4in steel and I used 120 grit and sanded it down to the right diameter on the lathe. Terry put me onto this method. It worked even though it took a while.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).