• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

/Pen Sales - do you rename your pens

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
So, I am starting up a Facebook page with a few of my pens to try and sell some, and was wondering this: do you rename your pens from the kit name?

I could use the kit name to describe my pens, but I suppose that could let people search for them, finding the kits themselves (and my profit margins!). On the other hand, someone could love the Jr Gent, and be looking for those specifically, so I may lose some searches that way.

What do you all think?

Alan

Jim

Grand Master
Alan, you don't even have to name the kit, just describe how nice your pens are and what wood you have used and of course the plating's .. :winking:

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
That's what my wife said! :thumbs:

My only thought was having a way to collate pens of the same type - I will have probably 90% TM pens, but am not sure if I want to be able to group pens with the same feel together.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Pen turners search for Jr Gents - the buying public searches using different terms, so I doubt you'd be losing out by NOT calling a Jr Gent a Jr Gent. There was a thread om the same subject not very many days ago Alan. A brief hunt on the forum will put you in front of the whole discussion.

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
Pen turners search for Jr Gents - the buying public searches using different terms, so I doubt you'd be losing out by NOT calling a Jr Gent a Jr Gent. There was a thread om the same subject not very many days ago Alan. A brief hunt on the forum will put you in front of the whole discussion.

I missed that one - will go have a look!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
There are as many arguments for and against first if you rename them you need a good memory otherwise label each pen with a string label and number for reference anyway. There are only 75 people in my family us two ,kids, gkids,ggkids even on a good day naming them all is difficult without checking the broadsheet. Throw in the hangers on the ones separated or somewhere else, I use this example if you sell pens you will soon have hundreds on your mind. Good luck.

Peter.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
If you call them by the manufacturers name and some one looks them up all they have is the price of the kit not all the other materials you use to produce a pen let alone your time the price we pay for a standard kit is the smallest part of the cost of a finished pen so dose it matter what you call them I can make two pens from identical kits but the price of both pens can be pols apart a single pen blank can cost from say £1 to £25 a single blank can take from 5min to a few days to make so to me the name isn't that important

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).