• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Phil's Refills

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Right, time for me to stand up and appologise. I was wrong to quote the price I did... and should have delved a bit deeper. If I'd ordered 101 (not 100) cross type refills then the cost would have been £70.70 which is far more acceptable and although more expensive than the Starminen ones, I'm being persuaded by the quality and will give them a try.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Wow I get the point no longer will I casually look at a refill. Interesting to me is the fact I bought 200 extra refills twenty years ago I am still using successfully today. I mentioned on a swap years ago the guy put in a spare refill for use with the swap pen that impressed me no end. I stripped 200 kits tips with tips etc refills in jars my reject rate as I check before assembly of refills is negligible. I really like the very fine line I get from the chinese providers of Kits. With no irons in this fire discussions such as these are healthy IMHO.

Peter.:thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
What does one do with all the lesser quality refils that come with the kits if one is replacing them all with better ones.

Give them free to the customer explaining why you have swapped the refill and that it is theirs to place in the pen when the Beaufort refill is empty, explaining that this gives them time to replace with one of their choice .. :bwink:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I think thats the best idea Jim although I'll put the chinese ones in and give the others as a replacement simply because the kits are in my shed and the refills in my office, in the box for shows.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Right, time for me to stand up and appologise. I was wrong to quote the price I did... and should have delved a bit deeper. If I'd ordered 101 (not 100) cross type refills then the cost would have been £70.70 which is far more acceptable and although more expensive than the Starminen ones, I'm being persuaded by the quality and will give them a try.

Thank you Paul for taking the trouble to re-investigate the price. Yes, 101 would cost 70p each with free UK P&P. They're a bit more expensive than StarRefills, but you yourself have already acknowledged that the reason is the difference in quality.

The quantity discount applies to the total number of refills in the entire mix, so if you'd ordered say 50 parker types and 51 cross types, you'd still get the cross types at 70p, and the parker types at the 101 price too. Does that make sense? It's explained a lot better on the website.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Do they do a sample pack ie 1 of each type of refill, for assessment?

Peter

Not until you mentioned it Peter. That's a great idea though which I should have thought of. Doh!:rolling:

Watch this space and I'll see what I can come up with. Would other people be interested in a sample pack, if we can keep the price down?

I'm afraid we can't afford to give samples away to everybody - I wish we could, but I can probably come up with some sort deal exclusively for forum members. Hmm:thinks:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thank you Paul for taking the trouble to re-investigate the price. Yes, 101 would cost 70p each with free UK P&P. They're a bit more expensive than StarRefills, but you yourself have already acknowledged that the reason is the difference in quality.

The quantity discount applies to the total number of refills in the entire mix, so if you'd ordered say 50 parker types and 51 cross types, you'd still get the cross types at 70p, and the parker types at the 101 price too. Does that make sense? It's explained a lot better on the website.

That makes perfect sense to me Phil.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Hmmm, you lot have me thinking now, so pardon my ignorance here.

The Sierra that I was using as a day pen has the refill which came with the kit from Timberbits, it has always annoyed me that it has a tendancy to "blob" for want of a better word. Hopefully you know what I mean?

The Omega that I'm now using has a lovely writing action and I'm really happy with it.

So, for the Sierra type pens, which of the Beaufort refills do I need?

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Hmmm, you lot have me thinking now, so pardon my ignorance here.

The Sierra that I was using as a day pen has the refill which came with the kit from Timberbits, it has always annoyed me that it has a tendancy to "blob" for want of a better word. Hopefully you know what I mean?

The Omega that I'm now using has a lovely writing action and I'm really happy with it.

So, for the Sierra type pens, which of the Beaufort refills do I need?

You need the Beaufort Parker style for a sierra. The reason it blobs is because the ball of the refill is sitting too high in the tip, and that's because the standard sierra kit refills have brass tips and are not made to very high standards or tolerances. They also contain very little ink.

Have a look at Beaufort Ink technical info which tells you why we only use stainless steel tips

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Not until you mentioned it Peter. That's a great idea though which I should have thought of. Doh!:rolling:

Watch this space and I'll see what I can come up with. Would other people be interested in a sample pack, if we can keep the price down?

I'm afraid we can't afford to give samples away to everybody - I wish we could, but I can probably come up with some sort deal exclusively for forum members. Hmm:thinks:

That would be great, it would allow us to test out the refills and make our own minds up without a substantial outlay. I look forward to it.

Peter

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas

I'd definitely be interested in a sample pack Phil :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That would be great, it would allow us to test out the refills and make our own minds up without a substantial outlay. I look forward to it.

Peter

I'll second that, I would like to try these but the small quantity price means I won't buy them until I need a load to justify the discounts.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).