• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Photographing Pens.

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
One point that I have not seen mentioned is the need to use a small aperture in order to get a good depth of focus i.e things in focus front to back. With camera phones this can be OK because they have small apertures anyway. For those who don’t know a small aperture has a big number i.e f8,f16 etc. That means a longer shutter speed hence the need for a tripod.
If you want to be really clever you can use software and multiple images all merged together ( look up focus stacking on Google)

Skin-Job

First Name
Karl
You don't need an expensive setup to get reasonable results.
This pic, as with most of my other pen pics, was taken with an old Sony NEX5N camera (under £200 2nd hand), a Nikon 28mm lens, aperture wide open at F2.8, handheld on my bathroom floor.
All that was needed was a sheet of white paper at the nearside (bottom of frame) to bounce some daylight onto the dark side of the pen.

Karl

Attachments

• spearbest3.jpg
    spearbest3.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 74

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
This pic, as with most of my other pen pics, was taken with an old Sony NEX5N camera (under £200 2nd hand), a Nikon 28mm lens, aperture wide open at F2.8, handheld on my bathroom floor.

Karl

I agree Karl, however in this world the terminology of "You don't need an expensive setup to get reasonable results" means so many different things to so many.

£20 can seem a lot of money if you are scrapping by and are one of the so called "JAMS". Yes there are quite a few members of this forum in that position.

The unit I have is similar to the Bucks (Paul) has, but I use an old Cannon camera that I was lucky enough to be given. Having said that I often use a Panasonic point and shoot thingy.. :thinks:

But having said all that, the most important thing is;

1- If you are presenting pictures for publication, be it a Magazine or to advertise for selling your wares then you will need something to give you good consistent results. The many great solutions given above are evidence of that and one I have always been greatful for.

2- If you are putting pictures on here for fellow forum members to look at then although its presenting, it doesn't really matter how the picture is taken, props included or otherwise.. Provided the pen can bee seen on the screen that's all that matters.

3- if its posted on here for C&C then the picture quality needs to be a little better so that all the components can be judged fairly.

So although I agree with improving presentation we shouldn't get "hung up" on making sure its done just for this forum As [MENTION=1682]KevinMc[/MENTION] said, "I am trying to learn woodturning not photography.

That's the most important thing of the forum to keep the fact that we are a Penturning forum.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
( look up focus stacking on Google)

My camera does photostacking and processes it all in camera I do not use the facility very much but was quite impressed with it when I tried it out. Have used photoshop to do this but never all in camera.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Being a complete mug with programs and simplicity the keynote. Last night I joined physically an inaugural group of fellow enthusiasts growing Carnivorous plants,one of my passions. The buzz of excitement was palpable and reminded me looking at some plants brought in of the atmosphere engendered at a wood group monthly meeting.

Same need to be able to communicate a newsletter with stunning pics is produced by the parent group 200 miles away in Sydney. I feel quite at home. Enthusiasm is catching.

In these days the mystery that surrounded picture taking is removed automatically thank goodness. Costs are minimal and no cost to transfer to the computer where a record can be kept. Very few reasons to own a tripod for example. I did away with mine by fitting a wooden piece across my set up with a 1/4 inch threaded stem to fit the camera on. A peeve I have is the Fuji small camera I use there has the card in the bottom necessitating on off the set up and the card was made for midgets,tiny as. One of my flash units for ever ago was heavy,clumsy built like the carry lamp Railway people used to control train movements,went off like a flash of lightening,all included in most cameras today.

Peter.

Gregory Hardy

Graduate Member
First Name
Greg
I'm so glad I checked this thread for a couple of reasons. The first is that I want to improve my photography, and I learned a lot in ten minutes. The other reason is that the last thread I started reading (specific to bushings which I now know translates to "I'm willing to fall on my sword over this world-ending topic") didn't seem to represent the positive nature of this forum on a variety of fronts.

This was a wonderful educational thread. My photography is going to be better because I read today. What amazing talent is available, and all for free! (BTW...I use bushings and digital calipers, centers and mandrels, I have a good camera but shoot with my phone, I smoke in my shop and I even occasionally say bad words. Color me bad from all fronts, and remember me in your prayers.)

Happy weekend, all. I am pleased to say I still have six hours more of a weekend ahead of me than many of you. I am going to try to take some better photographs! Slainte.

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
All that was needed was a sheet of white paper at the nearside (bottom of frame) to bounce some daylight onto the dark side of the pen.

Karl

Perhaps but that photo is not a good example, out of focus and lacking any light. The lack of light didn't help the focusing. A white background not only keep the eye on the pen but reflects light.

I took this photo and just run it on a simple program. just to get rid of the background, i certainly am not an expert but I think it looks better .. well the pen does.

If you started wioth a white background it would look better obviously, try it and see

Now this is just my opinion mind you ....

spearbest34.jpg

What do you think ?

Brad

Skin-Job

First Name
Karl
I think that's pretty scathing criticism Brad.
Unneccesarily critical and uncalled for, in my opinion. I was making a point about how simple a photographic set up can be.

The background is a choice, not a mistake. I think the greys and dark tones show the light colours of the wood and stainless very well.

There's plenty of light, certainly enough to see the pen clearly, and it is NOT out of focus.

I focus manually and chose the point of focus. I don't rely on on autofocus.

Comments such as 'The lack of light didn't help the focusing' reinforce your observation that you are 'certainly not an expert' to great effect.

Perhaps you'd like to share some of your photographic work, and teach me a thing or two?

Karl

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I think that's pretty scathing criticism Brad.
Unneccesarily critical and uncalled for, in my opinion. I was making a point about how simple a photographic set up can be.

The background is a choice, not a mistake. I think the greys and dark tones show the light colours of the wood and stainless very well.

There's plenty of light, certainly enough to see the pen clearly, and it is NOT out of focus.

I focus manually and chose the point of focus. I don't rely on on autofocus.

Comments such as 'The lack of light didn't help the focusing' reinforce your observation that you are 'certainly not an expert' to great effect.

Perhaps you'd like to share some of your photographic work, and teach me a thing or two?

Karl

I feel sure that Brad's intention was to provide constructive criticism in an effort to help the OP and others. Whilst I cannot agree with him that the pen is out of focus, neither can I agree with you that your choice of background shows off the pen to best advantage. In my opinion, which is just that and nothing more, the textures in the background are distracting and draw attention away from the subject and the whole image looks dark and unappealing. In short it looks what it is, shot on someone's bathroom floor. But then photography is subjective and I don't expect you to agree with me.

I am not sure that Brad's attempts at photoshopping out the background have been particularly successful and it is in that regard that I believe he says that he is not an expert. As for examples of his excellent photographic work there are plenty on this group and others. You need look no further than this weeks pen of the week.

Whilst I am not a professional photographer I do claim to have some expertise in photography, particularly in the field of presenting turned work in professionally published books and magazines but also as the official photographer for my local woodturning club. Without exception when submitting work for publication, publishers prefer the background to be plain white as this presents the subject to best advantage without distraction. Likewise, when displaying work in website galleries, consistency and clarity are essential and a plain white background achieves this. That is not to say that other backgrounds should never be used, just that careful consideration needs to be given to ensuring that the subject of the photograph remains at the centre of the viewers attention.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I see all your beautiful photographs of your beautiful pens on here and have realise using my camera phone to take photos on my work desk just isn't enough!
What do you guys use to photograph your pens? What is the best way to lay out the pen? Do you use flash or lighting?
Thanks All
AC
p.s. pics of photo rigs are always appreciated!

I have shown what I do others have done the same, beauty is in the eye of the beholder,what I seek is simplicity,repeatability and contribution. I have shown,how what when and why I wish you success AC.

Peter.

Skin-Job

First Name
Karl
Walter,

What may be 'dark and unappealing' to you may be more interesting than a white sheet to someone else.
Me.

I was not submitting a photograph for print, or for a gallery. I was showing my work to an online pen turning forum.

It may surprise you to know I also have professional photographs in print in several books.
I'm a professional film maker and film industry professional. I like the background. I think it has interest and personality and isn't a bleached out nothing.

Now, be honest, If I hadn't said, would you have known it was a bathroom floor?

I don't think so.

I think I did something that used something other than the 'standard' accepted approach for showing a turned wooden pen and the establishment didn't like it.
There is clearly politics in the mix here.

I didn't and don't want to upset anyone, but I was not going to take the criticism laying down.

Karl

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
@Skinjob
I agree Karl,

The main points I raised in post 23, in my view are set I'll relevant and to the point.

1- If you are presenting pictures for publication, be it a Magazine or to advertise for selling your wares then you will need something to give you good consistent results. The many great solutions given above are evidence of that and one I have always been greatful for.

2- If you are putting pictures on here for fellow forum members to look at then although its presenting, it doesn't really matter how the picture is taken, props included or otherwise.. Provided the pen can bee seen on the screen that's all that matters.

3- if its posted on here for C&C then the picture quality needs to be a little better so that all the components can be judged fairly.

So although I agree with improving presentation we shouldn't get "hung up" on making sure its done just for this forum

I also believe that in [MENTION=95]Walter[/MENTION]s reply he is saying the same things, although in his own style..:wink: (wouldn't all be good to be the same eh!)

But if I had a bathroom floor like that I may have used that too. :winking:

The topic of photography has been a hot topic on here for as long as this forum has been going, (and others before it) from carpets jokes to the many different props used.

That shows we are all different and have our own standards that should be encouraged.:thumbs:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Walter,

What may be 'dark and unappealing' to you may be more interesting than a white sheet to someone else.
Me.

As I said, I don't expect you to agree with me.

I was not submitting a photograph for print, or for a gallery. I was showing my work to an online pen turning forum.

Not quite, you were offering advice to others on how to do so. The main thrust of which I agree with, a photography set up need not be complicated.

It may surprise you to know I also have professional photographs in print in several books.
I'm a professional film maker and film industry professional. I like the background. I think it has interest and personality and isn't a bleached out nothing.

OK fine, I wasn't trying to start a willy waving competition and we shall have to agree to differ on the background. I still think it looks dark and flat.

Now, be honest, If I hadn't said, would you have known it was a bathroom floor? I don't think so.

I would have guessed at some sort of stone or ceramic.

I think I did something that used something other than the 'standard' accepted approach for showing a turned wooden pen and the establishment didn't like it.
There is clearly politics in the mix here.

Why does everyone think everything is some sort of conspiracy these days. There is no politics involved other than trying to maintain a friendly forum.

I didn't and don't want to upset anyone, but I was not going to take the criticism laying down.

I am sure you didn't and don't and equally sure that Brad's comments were well intentioned. As are mine.

Brad has apologised and I am not upset or offended in any way. I just don't agree with everything you say.

Skin-Job

First Name
Karl
Walter,

I'm not 'Willy waving' as you put it. Satements of fact, nothing more.
You yourself did start out with the 'published in print' thing. I'm attempting to give some context to my comments.

You may well think my backround looks dark and flat, I think plain white looks light and flat.

It's a light coloured pen, a dark background struck me as a reasonable contrast to show the pen off. I stand by it.

it's a matter of taste.

Where there are groups of people there are politics at work.
This is a group of people who's agendas include mutual support and shows of appreciation of others' work. Politics is always in play, hardwired into the human condition.

I've said my bit.

Karl

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Walter,

I'm not 'Willy waving' as you put it. Satements of fact, nothing more.
You yourself did start out with the 'published in print' thing. I'm attempting to give some context to my comments.

You may well think my backround looks dark and flat, I think plain white looks light and flat.

It's a light coloured pen, a dark background struck me as a reasonable contrast to show the pen off. I stand by it.

it's a matter of taste.

Where there are groups of people there are politics at work.
This is a group of people who's agendas include mutual support and shows of appreciation of others' work. Politics is always in play, hardwired into the human condition.

I've said my bit.

Karl

Why so defensive? I did not accuse you of willy waving , I merely stated that that was not my intention to start a competition.

I think we have already agreed to differ on your choice of background.

Perhaps you are right that politics exist wherever there is human interaction but there is no hidden agenda behind my comments.

Skin-Job

First Name
Karl
Walter,

I'm not defensive.
I'm just making my case and responding to criticism and comments from you and others.

I really enjoyed your book, by the way.

Karl

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Walter,

I'm not defensive.
I'm just making my case and responding to criticism and comments from you and others.

I really enjoyed your book, by the way.

Karl

No criticism intended on my part, just a difference of opinion.

I am sure everyone's intention was to help Andy with his original question.

I am glad you enjoyed the book. Some of the kits used and suppliers mentioned are a bit out of date now but most of the projects are transferable to newer designs of kit.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).