• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Photographing Pens.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Occasionally I break out and use various things to support my pics.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0001-001.JPG
    DSCF0001-001.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF7150.JPG
    DSCF7150.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Thank you for a mate.JPG
    Thank you for a mate.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 53

Pastor of Muppets

First Name
Andy
Guy's Thank you so much yet again for all your help and advice on this.
I can see that I am going to have a lot of experimenting to do with taking photographs of my pens! hope fully all the kit I've ordered should be here soon and that you'll see a marked improvement in Photographs although I am a little worried you'll all be able to see how bad my turning is then!

Les ELm

Executive Member
First Name
Les
At time I will photograph the subject with the material used to make the subject.
Most times a picture can be worth a thousand words.

Les

Attachments

• DSC07901.jpg
    DSC07901.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 26

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
She tried, but I didnt have that many hobbies in them days.:ciggrin:

You’re just a naughty boy. One of the first “tools” I was taught to use in one of my first jobs was the broom and then the kettle! The fork lift came later on! :funny:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
REpeated guidance all through my apprenticeship,some gentle some not. Sure happy for people these days with the real advancement in tools and materials.

Peter.

Gregory Hardy

Graduate Member
First Name
Greg
I'm so glad I checked this thread for a couple of reasons. The first is that I want to improve my photography, and I learned a lot in ten minutes. The other reason is that the last thread I started reading (specific to bushings which I now know translates to "I'm willing to fall on my sword over this world-ending topic") didn't seem to represent the positive nature of this forum on a variety of fronts.

This was a wonderful educational thread. My photography is going to be better because I read today. What amazing talent is available, and all for free! (BTW...I use bushings and digital calipers, centers and mandrels, I have a good camera but shoot with my phone, I smoke in my shop and I even occasionally say bad words. Color me bad from all fronts, and remember me in your prayers.)

Happy weekend, all. I am pleased to say I still have six hours more of a weekend ahead of me than many of you. I am going to try to take some better photographs! Slainte.

You, know, gents...if you read my quote (several days ago) and try to appreciate the sentiment - "good constructive, positive suggestions" in a world full of shite - you will certainly respect my comments to follow.

I clearly spoke too soon. (It's a gift as it turns out.) Immediately following my "atta boy" to this forum for its positive nature, a series of remarks ensued that were not all positive...THROUGH NO ONE'S FAULT. (I accept blame. I do not assign it.) A conversation continued by a bunch of decent people who are collectively passionate about pens...and passions flared. Not my business or my place, but I hope the flares are quenched. I used to (please note past tense) follow another forum regularly. A remark was taken out of context. Egos held a Mexican standoff (sorry - no ethnic slur intended), and a bunch of decent people were angry whilst communicating in a place that is supposed to be a safe haven for communication. I thought this forum was the last haven thereof.

Sidebar: We held a meeting this week in my school to see after the needs of a child who just moved into my school district. After all of my professionals (truly good men and women) voiced their concerns about reading levels, math skills and a variety of other academic concerns, someone had the wherewithal to ask the kid what he needed. He responded, "I'd like my own underwear and socks." (That's a direct quote.) God bless her, one of my junior administrators asked what he meant. "I have to share underwear with my big brother and they're too big, plus it's disgusting, and I have to wear my grandmother's socks." (A quick look under the conference table confirmed that his socks were fuzzy and pink. Not a thirteen-year-old boy's socks.) He added, "I wouldn't mind a sandwich if there's extra food in this school."

Though I do not follow this forum so that I may have free counselor services (I'll see after myself, thank you very much), I am reminded that this seems like the last bastion of communication that respects and trusts the other members. Brilliant membership - the talents shared daily blow me away. Perhaps there is more to gain by all if first we approach the membership as family members...the "grumpy old uncle," the "cousin who's a bit off center," and "the kid brother or sister who is just learning the ropes," "the talented family members who have gone on ahead of us." Then trust follows, and criticism is just "part of being a family," not an attack. Just part of the daily love. (Sorry, Walter - I know that's a little "warm and fuzzy" for you, but I think you get it!)

We'd better look after one another, trust one another, and help one another - no harm, no foul, and no egos. Be family. Some thirteen-year-old boy (in a place you can't even imagine) doesn't even have his own damned underwear. All things considered, pen photography seems a little less important to me tonight.

I am thankful for the expertise shared here. Thanks to all of you. Make pens so people will write words of peace.
-Greg

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Heartening words Greg, I value direct and uncomplicated communication. I try every day on this forum to view and share the best way I know how. Sure whenever photography comes up of pens everyone is fed up with my open box etc pics. Anyway persevere mate I felt ready to jump in many times. Had a pleasant experience to share,Wilma and I joined the Canberra Lapidary Club and I just wrote (with pics) a short article on making the Wooly Mammoth Molar into a tooth. Its refreshing to be wanted and respected at any time. Also a Carnivorous Plant group, submitting an article on my way of growing and sharing there. Late last night I joined another Wood Forum, already intro then pics. A guy and his son are coming to ours on Saturday ,he makes Fly,s for fishing and I told him about the blank from Les with the tied fly on a white background with the trace and Mallard Duck feather on either side of the blank.He is also into Carnivorous plants. The world goes around tomorrow night show and tell we will be there with me showing my Mammoth Tooth.
Urgent call from my Doc going in to see him following a scan yesterday.after Cancer follow up tomorrow morning.Never ending food for thought the radiation two years ago has blasted my colon for worse.

Happy new year.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).