• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Picked up a collection of ink well stands

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
About sixty years ago Mulga was used extensively for most gift lines in Australia. So exciting as a timber species with the sapwood and holding its bark. Chucked in an Emporer with clothes on.

Made for dip pen use it is around a foot across pushing the boundaries of my lighting open box.

Peter.

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
That is very eye catching Peter. I saw an ink well holder made from deer antler with deer teeth embedded all the way round, if a bit gory for some the craftsmanship was amazing, had I had the money I would have bought it. Was for sale in Inveraray, Argyll, Scotland.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Very nice looking set Peter, is this made by you?

Not made by me Jim I bought several sets including this one, in my Dads time items abounded made in Mulga,also a tribute to the days of dip pens. I hated them from mixing the ink as a kid at primary school to crossed nibs and abuse by your mates. Most class rooms had a forest of them stuck in the ceiling (ie the pens). I have one log of Mulga and it is hard work, really appreciate the skills from so long ago.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).