• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Present for Australian pen turner

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
My (UK) boss is from Australia (Tasmania) and is heading back there at Christmas time. She wants to take a present to her friend's husband, who does some pen turning, but isn't sure what to take.

What sorts of things are hard to get down there? What do you think would be appreciated most? I had thought of some pen kits from TM or Beaufort, not sure what her budget is though.

I have some lovely Yew which I guess isn't that common down there, but it isn't dry yet, and might end up just splitting all over the place.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Alan

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Check about taking wood down under as they are very strict at what goes in.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
My (UK) boss is from Australia (Tasmania) and is heading back there at Christmas time. She wants to take a present to her friend's husband, who does some pen turning, but isn't sure what to take.

What sorts of things are hard to get down there? What do you think would be appreciated most? I had thought of some pen kits from TM or Beaufort, not sure what her budget is though.

I have some lovely Yew which I guess isn't that common down there, but it isn't dry yet, and might end up just splitting all over the place.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Alan

I am not sure how difficult it is to take wood to OZ, it may be problematic. If you are going to go the pen kit route then I think Beaufort Ink is your best bet as the kits are unique whereas TM kits are basically copies of other kits with minor changes.

Peter

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
I have sent wooden pens before and last time I was in OZ declared I had Chinese Tea as they are quite hot on plants and they let me through with that. Pen kits would be good though if you are worried about the wood why don't you turn her a couple of spurtles they are cheap enough to make and if they don't get through it would not mater.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Why not arrange with Timberbits a credit voucher for items easily obtained in Australia. If she wants to impress with UK products so many members on the forum could advise. One thing is for sure most everything in Australia is certainly cheaper than in the UK.

Peter.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Copied from Dept of Agriculture and Water Resources.

Imported articles need to be clean, free of bark, insects, soil or other contaminants (look for holes and sawdust as this may indicate that your article contains insect pests). You need to comply with all conditions in BICON before importing a product. The types of timber, wooden articles, bamboo, and related products​ page directs you to the appropriate import conditions for different products.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Something precious about spurtles if you by from this man (must be). Maker Richard Raffan at our recent exhibition.

Peter.:thinks:

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
My boss is looking for something that there isn't easy access for down under - no idea what the budget is, but I will point her towards Phil's site as an idea anyway.

Shame the Shakespeare isn't available yet!

Thanks

Alan

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).