• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Problem turning Burr

glenpen

Graduate Member
First Name
Glen
I have had a few goes turning Burr Blanks without success The wood keeps splitting especial near the ends can anyone give me ideas of what I can do with this turning.
Glen:sob::sob::sob:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Keep putting CA on to it to help stabilise it as you turn it down add more CA and use a skew.

Peter

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Ditto for using CA, but make sure it's thin or super thin so it wicks down into the material. Personally I would avoid the skew, it's my nemesis tool and I always get a catch which can ruin your work. My favourite tool for pen turning is a small 1/2in continental gouge by Robert Sorby. I do use a skew but only when I'm rounding the end of a closed end pen, other than that me and skews don't get on very well :goesred:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I would tend to paper down where you have problem blanks it works for me especially using Abranet my go to paper now.I work with burl more than normal timber. Which burl is the problem?

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).