• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Any one made rolling pins if so what diameter is best or will it be a case of going down to the local shop that sells them and measuring. I am thinking of doing I believe to be the French style where the ends tape and also the traditional ones used here

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
My shop bought wooden one is 42.5cm x 5cm with a central 24.5cm for the pastry and the rest is for the handles.

Peter

nimrod

Graduate Member
First Name
Robin
I've just measured the one I made and it's 54mm or 2&1/8 in English and I have had no complaints about the size.

Robin

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
yes, i have made 3 as Christmas presents. All have been used, felt nice and were well received. I did a cherry one at 1 1/2" which was a touch thin, but we kept this one for home, and I actually quite like it for being thinner- I wouldnt suggest going any smaller though. The rippled sycamore and ash ones were from a 2" blank, and finished at about 1 3/4", perhaps a touch more- I kept as much thickness as I could, and got the centres about bang on. I aimed for 20" long or so, I think the sycamore was a little nearer 16" from memory, because the blank was shorter.

I thought that I had a pic, but I cant find it. I used French Rolling Pin as my guide.

From what I found, the dimensions werent that critical. bit thicker or thinner and a bit shorter didnt make a difference to the use. Obviously I havent tried them all, but the recipients have both said that they are nice to use.

I wont bother with ash again, the finish on the sycamore was much better. tung oil brought out the ripple. The cherry was ok, the ash acceptable, but not as fine as the others by a long way.

I do have some more to do- they didnt take too long to turn, purely between centres, so were good spindle practice and went down very well with the recipients

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Thank you all. That link Mark is great given me some more ideas on shapes

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
A rolling pin was the very first thing I ever turned. 26 years later and it's still in use.

a constant diameter is imperative, otherwise it don't roll straight :funny:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Rolling pins vary from country to country some with some without handles watching the relies spill out the sizes with interest. The best one ever is the one never used in anger.

Peter.

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
Real beauties Terry :thumbs::thumbs:

As a relative wood virgin - Is there a list that anyone has of the "best" woods to use and also those to definitely avoid for health or other reasons ?

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Thank you everyone for your imput.

As a relative wood virgin - Is there a list that anyone has of the "best" woods to use and also those to definitely avoid for health or other reasons ?

Close grained wood are at the top of my list but being careful of woods that are listed as not good for your health.

Just measured mine it's 36" long and 14" diam. We like BIG pies in the Midlands :winking:

Big pie's for big boys is it Vic

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek

I should have put

Close grained wood are at the top of my list but being careful of woods that are not good for your health. Some woods I would use Beech, Cherry, Walnut and Maple, I am sure there are many more you could also use.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I think the size depends on the use. I've seen some Italians rolling out pasta dough with a long rolling pin that looked to be only a bit over one inch diameter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).