• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Rotur pen mandrel problem

Grasbylee

First Name
Lee
I have a rotur deluxe colleted pen mandrel and the brass collect is stuck in the body so I can't move the shaft and change the length to turn different sizes of pen blank :sob:

Any tips on how to free up the collet from the body of the mandrel without breaking it?

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
Stick it in the fridge/freezer to cool down then apply heat to the threading outside the collet, hopefully the collet will stay cool enough and the out will expand enough to free it up for you.

Grasbylee

First Name
Lee
Thanks for the advice guys - cooled it of warmed it up a bit then gave it a tap worked a treat - didn't want to do something that was going to damage it now ready to turn something other than a slimline, if i get chance this weekend!

:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).