• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

SCT Collet Set System For Wood Lathe M33 & 1" x 8 TPI

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
This is now back in stock at Chronos, I made sure I ordered mine before posting here, just in case, it's ER32.

SCT Wood Lathe Collet System

Peter

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
The darn collets are in imperial measurements yet the lathe threading is metric without the adaptor.

I'm presuming looking at my conversion chart that the collets roughly match up as follows.

1/4" - 6-7mm
3/8" - 9-10mm
1/2" - 12-13mm
5/8" - 15-16mm
3/4" - 18.5-19.5(?)

Guess I'll have to invest in a proper set of metric collets.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The darn collets are in imperial measurements yet the lathe threading is metric without the adaptor.

I'm presuming looking at my conversion chart that the collets roughly match up as follows.

1/4" - 6-7mm
3/8" - 9-10mm
1/2" - 12-13mm
5/8" - 15-16mm
3/4" - 18.5-19.5(?)

Dunno, I have a full set of metric ER32 collets so not a problem to me. It would have been better for me if they came without collets, but life's a bugger sometimes.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I have a set of imperial collets on the Hercus love them have not found a mismatch so far. Also metric collets and imperial for the wood lathe wonderful assets.

I marvel Peter at the incredible stock held by that organisation. Good luck with yours.

Peter.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark

1/4" - 6-7mm
3/8" - 9-10mm
1/2" - 12-13mm
5/8" - 15-16mm
3/4" - 18.5-19.5(?)

Each metric collet has a 1 mm clamping range, ie 10 mm to 9 mm

Imperial ER 40 set

ER 40 COLLET SET 24 PIECE ENGLISH COLLETS MariTool

Metric ER 40 set, my set goes done to 3 mm

ER 40 COLLET SET 22 PIECE METRIC COLLETS MariTool

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The collet chuck has just turned up and it is not M33 & 1" x 8 TPI as it was listed it has a dedicated thread of about 3/4" can't measure the TPI so it looks like I am not getting what I wanted. I have phoned Chronos and they will have a look at the rest of them to see where the mistake is, he seemed to think it was a description error I think their supplier sent the wrong ones or at least one wrong one, I hope they have some of the correct size left.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Just had a call from Chronos and they reckon the supplier has sent them a load of these in the last batch they received, the guy said he has managed to locate one of the correct size and will be sending it to me, but I am not counting my chickens before I have received it, now need to wait for them to call to see if they will be sending a courier (Parcel Force) to pick this one up or if I have to post it back to them.

Peter

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I have one of those Peter which I got from Axminster the thread size of mine are 1" X 8 and an adaptor to take it to 3/4" X 16 which was great as it fits both of my lathes

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have one of those Peter which I got from Axminster the thread size of mine are 1" X 8 and an adaptor to take it to 3/4" X 16 which was great as it fits both of my lathes

I looked at the Axminster one, but I don't think it was ER32, it was so long ago I could be mistaken. I have just had a look and can only see the Axminster Junior collet chuck which is ER20. The one I want is M33 with an adapter to take it to 1" X 8 or you could get other adapters. I think the one they sent me must be 3/4" X 16 which is of no use to me.

Peter

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I looked at the Axminster one, but I don't think it was ER32, it was so long ago I could be mistaken. I have just had a look and can only see the Axminster Junior collet chuck which is ER20. The one I want is M33 with an adapter to take it to 1" X 8 or you could get other adapters. I think the one they sent me must be 3/4" X 16 which is of no use to me.

Peter

The collets are ER32 in the one I got they no longer have it on the site. It was a choice between that or the Junior with the smaller collets

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The collets are ER32 in the one I got they no longer have it on the site. It was a choice between that or the Junior with the smaller collets

It's a shame they don't do it any more as I would have had one from them.

Peter

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
Just got mine today, no adaptor and as I've not currently got my M33 spindle lathe (long story, it's with Axminster) so I can't tell if it is a M33 thread. Offered it up to my 1"x8TPI lather and it doesn't fit. Looks like I've got a duff one too Peter.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Just got mine today, no adaptor and as I've not currently got my M33 spindle lathe (long story, it's with Axminster) so I can't tell if it is a M33 thread. Offered it up to my 1"x8TPI lather and it doesn't fit. Looks like I've got a duff one too Peter.

I can get my little finger into the hole and the whole measured 17.??mm so it is probably a 3/4" thread. It does sound like you have also got the wrong one.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have just had a call from Chronos, they are sending me the correct one tomorrow and picking up the other one, so fingers crossed that they have checked it is the right one.

Peter

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
Looks like you got the only one Peter, a display one they've sent on to you, all the others are the same. They've updated their website now with the 3/4"x16TPI description, a refund and pickup is all I've to look forward to. Ack well.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Looks like you got the only one Peter, a display one they've sent on to you, all the others are the same. They've updated their website now with the 3/4"x16TPI description, a refund and pickup is all I've to look forward to. Ack well.

It's a real bummer I ordered one in January and then had it cancelled because they didn't have any left in stock, when I got onto them yesterday I followed up with an email saying I had ordered one in January etc and was worried I would have to wait another 4/5 months for their next stock. If you tell them you want one when they have new stock they will email you, if you can wait that long.

I suppose they will get a great discount on the incorrect ones they have received and try to sell them off rather than return them. I can't find anywhere else in the UK that sells similar chucks.

I can sell you the 5 collets that came with it if you want:funny:

Peter

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
:thinks:
I'll pass on the offer :face:

Technically despite now owning four lathes none of them are currently usable/functional so it's no great immediate loss, I've got more complex problems to deal with.

Glad you eventually got yours though!

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
:thinks:
I'll pass on the offer :face:

Technically despite now owning four lathes none of them are currently usable/functional so it's no great immediate loss, I've got more complex problems to deal with.

Glad you eventually got yours though!

I haven't got it yet, it's supposed to come tomorrow.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).