• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Sealer & Simplicity (Delta) and streamline comparison

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
One for you to see the differences of the kit and the differences (in my opinion) of the acrylic and cellulose sanding sealer.

This is not a scientific test and was just a botch up in my cave.

I turned two pieces of spalted Hornbeam wood, off the same piece of wood (side by side) so you would expect it to be similar results.

The same technique of sanding was followed as well. Same papers and the same method.

The slimline was done with acrylic sealer, there is some evidence of bleed of the spalting in the grain structure after sanding. It wasn't there before I sanded,.

You can also see the comparison between the two kits, remember the Simplicity (Delta) takes a Parker type refill and the streamline a cross type refill.

I know I have done the comparison between the two kits before but this was mainly for the sealer trial.

As always, C&C welcome.

View attachment 31297

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Fearfull undercut at the centreband of the Delta reminds me of a napkin ring in that it overpowers your beaut pen.I noticed the bleed a problem that has plagued me for so long using wet and dry papers with that insideous black backing, so last weekend I bought stacks of Abranet cloth backed paper with this problem in mind. On the other hand sapwood can be like that just by its own nature (hard to know whether its in the wood or carryover).

I like both kits the finish from the pics is difficult to discern Eamonn. Do you use a white background? Like to help with pic taking.

Kind regards Peter.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I noticed the bleed a problem that has plagued me for so long using wet and dry papers with that insideous black backing.

I like both kits the finish from the pics is difficult to discern Eamonn. Do you use a white background? Like to help with pic taking.

Kind regards Peter.

I don't use black backed papers Peter so I know it won't be that.

No I don't use a white background. Know it upsets some as they don't like the green (ish) tint.

Just the exposure needs changing on this, having trouble sitting for any length of time so tend to skip things that are not that important.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Very familiar with health things mate, not fixated on background colour it makes it easier to read into a pen just knowing which one is used. I would love to swap stories face to face. Take caqre mate.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).