• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

angelo49

Registered
First Name
Angelo
Many of us often cast, stick on, glue on, or somehow attach a label,
decal, or some printed matter onto a pen blank.
We all post photo's that show some very nice work, but rarely, if ever, do we see
the ''other side'', that is the seam / joint where they wrap around and meet.
I'd like to see how you deal with this ''problem.''
So, SHOW ME YOUR SEAM! (I couldn't bring myself to type in ''joint''):ciggrin:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
That's a good idea:thumbs:

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
This is the reason I do several views of a pen.

This was brought home to me looking at an add for Holy Land Olive Blanks who seek and rightly so a premium for blanks with grain on all four sides (something to look out for.

Thankyou for your answer wallpaper has been a pain in the bum in our area the silverfish covet it more than we do.

Peter.

angelo49

Registered
First Name
Angelo
Vic, no way I would even think you were ''lying or cheating''.
The pens you make are fantastic and I just can't seem to make an ''invisible'' joint.
Can't see any seam at all in your photos.
Is that plain copy paper you're using, or something thinner??

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Two thoughts from me I admire the way Woody tapers(tears the edges etc). Also a bold statement as a label is something we are used to. I am sure both are valid.

I have old blanks of skins that show a very obvious join before casting that now look terrible to me, in the bin terrible.

Peter.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Vic, no way I would even think you were ''lying or cheating''.
The pens you make are fantastic and I just can't seem to make an ''invisible'' joint.
Can't see any seam at all in your photos.
Is that plain copy paper you're using, or something thinner??

Hi Angelo that remark wasn't meant for you but some would think it, it is just plain ol copy paper my friend you can make the edge of the paper thinner by wetting your finger and rubbing it over the back of the paper till a layer of paper rolls of it can take a while to get it just right my Dad showed me many years ago how to do it he was a master decorator

angelo49

Registered
First Name
Angelo
Two thoughts from me I admire the way Woody tapers(tears the edges etc). Also a bold statement as a label is something we are used to. I am sure both are valid.

I have old blanks of skins that show a very obvious join before casting that now look terrible to me, in the bin terrible.

Peter.
Yes, Peter, I also have a box of failures.

Sawes

Registered
First Name
Scott
Pre turning on these but I like to show the joint on any blanks I make for others so they know what to expect.
I have moved away from the tape joints now and try to select images that 'join' well like the tiger blank.
f6e71b30b83849296986f27f4974c076.jpg
d33e4b9df63bbcaee47fd3cb227d7fc5.jpg
3b819ae2e3a17ae6eadf03e6a7c7f3fe.jpg
a856eefad414267369e621b0bb4596cb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

angelo49

Registered
First Name
Angelo
it is just plain ol copy paper my friend you can make the edge of the paper thinner by wetting your finger and rubbing it over the back of the paper till a layer of paper rolls of it can take a while to get it just right my Dad showed me many years ago how to do it he was a master decorator[/QUOTE said:
That's a good idea. I was even thinking of sanding opposite edges to make a ''scarf'' joint.
We're getting some good posts here!

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
I was hoping to do more pens this year and this was one of the methods I was going to use. I have used paper and encased it in acrylic.
I have sent for white and clear waterslide decal paper to make some pens up in different configurations ie. wood pen with decal and dipped as per Les, decals on the tube and cast in acrylic. I have various ideas but would like to hear of any methods that have been tried but are not very successful :thinks:

take care
Don W

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).