• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Silicone putty

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Just ordered some silicone putty to try and make some block moulds for casting PE resin. Has anyone used this stuff and if so do you have any hints or tips,please.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Heres my first attempt Ed this stuff goes of in 3 min from when you start mixing it bit the last one turned out better than the first I used up about half of the two tubs so when you compare it to £20 a mould £13 for 5 moulds cant be bad 2 sierras 2 rocket bullet and one 6" x 3/4" and the more I do the better they will be I also nicked Paul M idea with the stamps and made up two tubes ready for when the moulds are fully cured good fun good fun

DSCF4183.JPGDSCF4182.JPG

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Here's mine total cost £32.00.... should get eight 5 1/2 x 3/4 x 3/4 blanks from them. I had around 10 mins play time with the stuff before it started setting. Only wish I had known about the cornflower and silicone sealer before hand though :rolling:

P1030738.jpg

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Here's mine total cost £32.00.... should get eight 5 1/2 x 3/4 x 3/4 blanks from them. I had around 10 mins play time with the stuff before it started setting. Only wish I had known about the cornflower and silicone sealer before hand though :rolling:

Don't sweat what has passed, it's worth having a go with the cornflower just so you get a feel for it, you can make moulds for specific kits.

Peter

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Don't sweat what has passed, it's worth having a go with the cornflower just so you get a feel for it, you can make moulds for specific kits.

Peter

Too right Peter Its a learning curve and Im quite happy with the result and the price price. Seeing how I get on with the cornflower will be interesting.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
With the own made putty the same size mould should cost no more than around £3.00

Thanks Ed using plastic dishes etc or reusable and mould release even cheaper i guess. I have seen so much innovation. Quick, easy and efficient with repeatability works every time following with interest mate.

Peter.

smoker

First Name
Steve

View attachment 29978

Try plain old bathroom sealant I use clear, make a former out of scrap wood, pump in the silicone work well in,
and smooth the top the top (now underside) with half a potato, silicone will not stick to it because of the starch,
leave to set for 48 hours and turn out. A load cheaper
and more working time. (will bring you some tomorrow)

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Try plain old bathroom sealant I use clear, make a former out of scrap wood, pump in the silicone work well in,
and smooth the top the top (now underside) with half a potato, silicone will not stick to it because of the starch,
leave to set for 48 hours and turn out. A load cheaper
and more working time. (will bring you some tomorrow)

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).