• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Slimline pen clips breaking

Gorbo

Apprentice Member
First Name
john
Hi has any one had problems with the slimline pen clips breaking at the top? I have had two break and wondered if i should go for better quality to avoid complaints

daveygee

First Name
Dave
In general the biggest reason why this happens is that the top barrel is made too large and then puts pressure even more so when the user clips it into the pocket.
My answer is turn them slimmer.

Davey

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Never lost any yet but have had them work loose, pain in the rear. I measure my blanks with a go no go guage and throw away any tighter than ones, helps me. I do find some platings prevent the top pressing through the clip and I use a 2.5 inch long hex brass with a 1/2 inch deep hole a slack fit for the top and pre press the top in the clip using one of the hex flats to let the clip slide, this takes pressure away from the press to the top half of the pen. I used also to bend clips out a touch to let them enter the pocket more easily. If you make your Slimline just a little bigger than a Streamline Centre band no worries.

There is no perfect clip IMHO but I have good feelings using a kit with a sliding hinge out from the pen body and a a Roller at the end of the clip.

Peter.

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
I have also had a couple break, not much play in them but Think maybe some fault was mine, as has been said, making the part under the clip a bit too fat.:vangry:

Gorbo

Apprentice Member
First Name
john
Thanks for your feedback :thumbs:I will do as suggested and reduce the dia of the top section see if that helps but I may go for better kits in the future.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I just looked profile at a number of pens made up if you look at the first 1/2 inch of the clip and turn this part down to give clearance by design it gives you a1/16 to 1/8 room to make your pens fatter.

Peter.

Mr Finch

First Name
Coll
Is it not called a *slim*line for a reason? If you want something fatter then use a streamline centre band?

For the record, I have also had issues with the plating being thick and not allowing the finial to go through. I just use a round file on the inside of the clip ring to make it marginally larger. Can't be seen as it's under the finial.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).