• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Stabilising Resin

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I bought a gallon Jim and it works just fine, the punkier the wood the better it works. When wrapping the blanks in foil, wrap them tight or you get a blob of resin on the outside of the blank. I tried colouring wood as well by adding dye but it didn't do too well.

When getting a vacuum chamber beware that the perspex supplied with it will crack no matter how careful you are as it gets affected by the resin. I've used mine a fair bit now and am just about to change it for Lexan that isn't affected but if you have to buy it, its about £50 for a small bit. Also I bought a catch pot to eliminate any resin going into the pump.

George Watkins

Registered
First Name
George
I've just finished my 2nd gallon (US gallon) from TR, the catalyst is a bit crappy, its separated and difficult to mix in to the resin.

Tried telling TR but no response.

I found the best method is not to shake it in its original container, but to transfer it to a larger container add some resin and a couple of metal ball bearings then give it a really good shake, then add it to the resin.

Shaver

First Name
Tam
My idea 'eventually' is to use 2 small venturi's and a 1.5lt pickle jar. I reckon the venturi's won't supply enough vacuum to cause any implosion. BUT on my first go it will be inside a heavy box just in case. :whistling:

Will have to see if it will suck in the resin. I do know that there are far more sophisticated double and triple venturi's which are almost as good as a vacuum pump, at a price. The 2 I have are only single venturi's and I have no idea how much they can suck down to.

Good luck to all who are having a go at this.

Tephy

First Name
Steve
Dan
I also have a pressure pot and vacuum chamber, am very interested in stabilising resin. I already use a water clear and white polyurethane resin ( just like Alumilite ) but would be interested if the price is right:wink:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I've just finished my 2nd gallon (US gallon) from TR, the catalyst is a bit crappy, its separated and difficult to mix in to the resin.

I found the best method is not to shake it in its original container, but to transfer it to a larger container add some resin and a couple of metal ball bearings then give it a really good shake, then add it to the resin.

I had the same problem George, I thought is was me.

Jim

Grand Master

This annoys me, if there is a problem they should acknowledge this and try to do something about it!! :nonono: Reading this puts me off their product altogether .. :down:

I am hoping the chamber will be here in a week or two, i have a couple of nice Burr Elm blanks to try out .. :drool:

George Watkins

Registered
First Name
George
it is frustrating but in TR defence I do only email them and apparently you really need to call them to get a reply!!

prior to using the stick fast resin, I have also used two gallons of cactus juice and did not have any problems with the catalyst.

excess resin on the outside of the blank Paul is nothing to do with how there wrapped, its a sign of internal moisture in the wood, for best results the wood really does need to be "oven dry"

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
it is frustrating but in TR defence I do only email them and apparently you really need to call them to get a reply!!

prior to using the stick fast resin, I have also used two gallons of cactus juice and did not have any problems with the catalyst.

excess resin on the outside of the blank Paul is nothing to do with how there wrapped, its a sign of internal moisture in the wood, for best results the wood really does need to be "oven dry"

Thanks George

Jim

Grand Master
I have also used two gallons of cactus juice and did not have any problems with the catalyst.

George, i know with seeing all the comments on the IAP site that the Cactus Juice is very good, and i like to use the best whenever possible, if it gives better results of course! The thought that I could get a comparison down the road looked a very good deal indeed ..

Without sounding cheeky, what is the extra costs of bringing this in from the USA?

George Watkins

Registered
First Name
George
as far as results go- I can find no difference Jim, it smells the same looks the same, turns the same... it probably is the same stuff.

if you buy 2 gallons of cactus juice, the price is slightly cheaper than stickfast from TR... IF you are lucky and don't get any customs charges.

if you wait for one of TR 10% offers it works out cheaper to buy then of course.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).