• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Thin Blue Line

Mr Finch

First Name
Coll
Folks

Friend of mine is a copper and I want to make him a pen to celebrate a change of role. I want to put a "thin blue line" down the centre of the blank, probably by cutting a wooden blank in half and gluing something in there.

My question is, what can I use to create the blue line?

TiA!

Coll

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Hi Coll

Easiest and cheapest way is cut a section from an old domestos or similar bottle. You can buy thin craft plastics of various types as well.
have to be careful drilling though and make sure you're dead true on centre

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Hi Coll, be very careful when drilling the blank, because you'll have two glue joins running the length of the blank right down the middle. :thinks:

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
You could always put the line intentionally off-centre, or perhaps let into one side.

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Put a small jubilee clip around then end of the bank that is not clamped in your chuck jaws. This will help stop it splitting when drilling. All other drilling precautions apply & keep your fingers out of range.

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
Folks

Friend of mine is a copper and I want to make him a pen to celebrate a change of role. I want to put a "thin blue line" down the centre of the blank, probably by cutting a wooden blank in half and gluing something in there.

My question is, what can I use to create the blue line?

TiA!

Coll
Don't do thin blue line do this so that he can remember the days when the only country in the world that didn't routinely arm their police was the UK and let him be proud of it.

20161103_163220.jpg

20161105_110916.jpg

PG

Last edited:

Mr Finch

First Name
Coll
Many thanks for your assistance folks. I want the pen to be something that he can use and carry so will probably go with the Domestos idea for the moment. I will then attempt Pierre's idea too. :)

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
The serpentine idea is great, unless your pal thinks you are inferring he is a bent copper, got to tread warily with the size tens (I take elevens!) You know what they say about guys with big feet, aye big shoes. :whistling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).