• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

This was my first pen

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
As I'm new to the forum I thought I'd post a picture or two of some of the pens I've turned over the past 12 months or so.

This was the first pen I turned in Bubinga (I think)- my wife collared it immediately!

3090small_01.jpg

Then I made these in Rosewood and Bubinga:

017.jpg

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
Nicely done there Graham. It is fun to experiment with shapes a little. I like to sketch out a few shapes rather that just make it up as I go along, saves timber that way. Of course once you start turning the wood may well change your ideas but then thats all part of the fun. If you scan through posts on the forum you will find some excellent inspiration with some really quite innovative shapes.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Your first pen looks great, so do the others:thumbs:

Peter

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
Thank you for all of the comments, greatly appreciated!

Good start there Graham , the name of the pen kit?

Peter.

The kit is a Craftpro Stylus purchased from Axminster. I was disappointed to have two clips fail on the pens after assembly - they were faulty. Axminster replaced them quickly though.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Thank you for all of the comments, greatly appreciated!

The kit is a Craftpro Stylus purchased from Axminster. I was disappointed to have two clips fail on the pens after assembly - they were faulty. Axminster replaced them quickly though.

THanks Graham always on the look out for Stylis pen kits.

Peter.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
That's very kind of you to say so Phil, any suggestions as to what the wood might be?
Hmmm. Don't know I'm afraid. It could even be walnut. Bubinga though is much more reddish brown and the grain is much straighter. It could be sapwood I suppose, but that is usually much more creamy and straight grained, and it's not often obtainable either as it's the heartwood that is prized.

Not to hijack your excellent pens, but this is typical bubinga

bubinga box with finial.jpg

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
It isn't reddish,but the grain is very straight. It was given to me by a guy who works for a wood mill - but he wasn't sure either (he's a driver!). They deal in all sorts of wood - mainly exotics so it could be anything :thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).