• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

This was my first pen

Pierre

Fellow
First Name
Pierre
As I'm new to the forum I thought I'd post a picture or two of some of the pens I've turned over the past 12 months or so.

This was the first pen I turned in Bubinga (I think)- my wife collared it immediately!

View attachment 30467

Then I made these in Rosewood and Bubinga:

View attachment 30468

Hi Graham, I have tried to reply on a couple of days but for some reason between the forum hiccoughs and my internet having failed no success The first pen that you showed cannot be Bubinga since that has distinctive red stripes in brown. Indeed your first pen looks like the modern Lignum vitae substitute ie Argentine Lignum Vitae or (bulnesia) if you ask lignaterrae on this forum he probably has a much better idea than me since he seems to have had a life in wood whereas I only had exams (and yes there is a big difference) . As for the 3 pens together with the photo quality I will give them rosewood on the left but the one on the right looks more like grey walnut. It is always easier to identify when you see the blank in the raw and even easier to see the log with the leaves and fruit!! :winking:

PG

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
Thanks Pierre, the two pens are from the same offcut, could well be grey walnut. Sadly, I know less than most :sob:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).