• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

TM Zeta Query

L33

First Name
Lee
Ive been really busy over Christmas with my craft fairs etc, and Ive sold quite a few TM Zeta's. To me, it's the perfect pen (almost). One issue Im having (and Ive had a few customers query the issue) is regarding the screwing mechanism at the top. To operate the pen, you twist the top one way, and to close the pen you twist the other way. Problem is, no matter how tight I screw the mechanism on, there are times that myself, or others, have twisted the mechanism and it starts to unscrew...keep unscrewing and the pen disassembles.

Now, as far as I am aware, unless there is a problem, this mechanism doesn't need to be removed as the ink is replaced by removing the nib end. So my question is...Is there a way to prevent the mechanism from being unscrewed?

Im not 100 percent sure its because Ive assembled it wrong so I thought by asking in here others may have had the same issue and found a solution. Its my favourite Ballpoint Pen and I want to feel confident when selling these pens to customers...so if I can just sort out this issue I'll be best pleased :)

Thanks in advance.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Do you screw the mechanism in with the end cap attached if so Try removing the end cap and screwing the mechanism home as tight as possible that is the way I do it and get no problems

L33

First Name
Lee
Yeah...I screw the mechanism on first...and really give it some! But I find it can be unscrew rather easily in the wrong hands. Im considering a dab of glue perhaps on the thread?

First Name
Dan
Hi Lee, do had any feedback relating to this put I will look into it.
The issue with glue is you made by accident get some into the mech itself which would spell disaster for your pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I have never seen one but to me the pen kit has some good features. In the Video on the selling site the short Video guy uses an Oxymoron small inadequate clamp ,easy as description of its use then demonstrates how much two hand power is need to assemble the pen. A novel way to use a winding mechanism.

Peter.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Lee,

I used to have a problem with the early version of Sierra kits that had the mechanism screwed in the bottom section. That was resolved with a thread lock rather than superglue (it's superglue for threads really)

I had a couple of problems with the new sierra EB and Zeta but did as Woody said and worked ok, apart from one ham fisted owner that used to unscrew it every time. So I confiscated it off Gold and the problem went away. If it was with someone I was bothered about then I would have used thread lock..

Two different types by the way, one to completely lock it in position and another so it can be unscrewed. Bugger if I can see a difference to be honest..:rolling:

L33

First Name
Lee
Cheers guys...

It is a concern that I have putting glue on the threads for fear of affecting the mechanism...but the thread locker could be an option. I'm thinking of a dab or two half way up the thread before carefully screwing it in. Then a good old tighten...

I haven't used thread locker before so if someone, perhaps Silver, could recommend one I may just look into it. I've only ever looked for thread locker once before and phoned up the company and they quoted me £50 a bottle...don't think so haha.

I like things to be perfect...I know that's not always possible...but if I can just sort out this little issue then I'll be happy...or happier :) Love the Zetas and its definitely my favourite pen to make...fixing this issue will be the icing on the cake :)

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Locktite comes in differing strengths and colours it cures in the dark so to speak. One of the lesser strengths should suffice.

Peter.

L33

First Name
Lee
Having just checked the Loctite...Loctite 222 seems to fit the bill. Does anyone usin Loctite use the 222 or possibly recommend the best bottle to use? It's something I've never used before.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Having just checked the Loctite...Loctite 222 seems to fit the bill. Does anyone usin Loctite use the 222 or possibly recommend the best bottle to use? It's something I've never used before.

Lee, I have used both as had them "on the shelf" so to speak, both work well.

My experience is a 25 ml bottle will last you a lifetime.. But depends on how many trannies you end up fixin.. No G serious jockin... :thumbs:

Check this out..25ML/50ML THREADLOCK NUTLOCK STUDLOCK THREAD LOCKSEALER LOCTITE BOND IT | eBay

Thread lock is the "lightweight" stuff..

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
Yup, I've had the same problem Lee, more with a couple of Knurl GT's than Zeta's. I'm currently using the purple low strength Bondloc B222 Screwlock stuff, Loctite 222 is the same variant, only as it was cheaper at the time. Does a grand job, don't put too much on though or if you do ever want to take the mechanism out you'll be spinning it around itself.

Harry

First Name
Harry
If anyone is still interested, I have been using diluted clear nail varnish on Zetas and Sierras for quite a while now, with no negative feedback yet. I paint it onto the threads and screw in tight. If I ever have to remove it it shouldn't grip too tightly.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I'm a fan of nail varnish too Harry. Nope, I don't have anything to confess, before anyone stats wondering, but nail varnish is a useful thing in situations like this, and many others too.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
If anyone is still interested, I have been using diluted clear nail varnish on Zetas and Sierras for quite a while now, with no negative feedback yet. I paint it onto the threads and screw in tight. If I ever have to remove it it shouldn't grip too tightly.

About time for simple solutions, full marks.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).