• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Trial run No 2

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
This is the same dish with the old picture removed and anew one added made a small change with the mod podge instead of just putting it were the picture goes I put it all over to avoid the colour change gust being around the photo it has had 3 coats of lacquer and I'm quite happy with it for 2nd attempt go on then blast away c/c welcome LOL I have turned the next two dishes 8 sided just to be different hope to have them finished tomorrow
View attachment 32582

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
That looks much better! :thumbs:

The problem with Modge Podge is that it is so thick it leaves brush strokes on your work, personally I would avoid putting it over the whole bowl, and just put it where the design is. It might also be worth getting a set of cheap paints to fill in those little gaps where the transfer doesn't take properly. They don't have to be a perfect match colour-wise, just enough of a match to stop to eye focusing on them. Hope that helps.

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
That is very good Woody, Did you design that yourself, or copied, scaled and printed?
It is very poignant.

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
I have been wanting to try something like doing one of these using P.V.A., but like everything else never get round to it or (Forget) :thinks:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have been wanting to try something like doing one of these using P.V.A., but like everything else never get round to it or (Forget) :thinks:

If your going to use PVA get the waterproof because you have to use water to remove the paper and leave the print behind

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
That looks much better! :thumbs:

The problem with Modge Podge is that it is so thick it leaves brush strokes on your work, personally I would avoid putting it over the whole bowl, and just put it where the design is. It might also be worth getting a set of cheap paints to fill in those little gaps where the transfer doesn't take properly. They don't have to be a perfect match colour-wise, just enough of a match to stop to eye focusing on them. Hope that helps.

The only reason I tried the mod podge all over is with the first one I did as you said and it changed the colour of the wood but with the solid color prints that wouldn't be an issue would it the paints are a good idea I did use a permanent marker were come of the black didnt take as you said the brush marks were an issue which I had to sand away but its all a good experience on the road of discovery and thank you for your advice and help

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Was it actually the Modge Podge that changed the colour of the wood, or was there a little colour coming through on the 'colourless' parts of the print (even something that looks white will often print out with some colour on a printer)? The reason I ask is that I think I can still see a bit of a colour change where the print is, but I'm not totally sure, it could be a shadow? Hope that makes sense? :thinks:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Getting better youngin :face:
Are those wee spots on the poppy bits that have come off or is it the lighting?
Woody would that principle work on pens instead of using decals (just a thought) :thinks:

Sadly they are bits that some off and I cant see why it shouldn't work on pens

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Was it actually the Modge Podge that changed the colour of the wood, or was there a little colour coming through on the 'colourless' parts of the print (even something that looks white will often print out with some colour on a printer)? The reason I ask is that I think I can still see a bit of a colour change where the print is, but I'm not totally sure, it could be a shadow? Hope that makes sense? :thinks:

The image was on a fawn colored square so I trimmed it so that there was a fawn border all the way around the image which I thought might look OK but no I should have trimmed it all the way back to the black I have two more drying which I have put the M/P on the image and not the wood to see if that works any better all good fun just raided me wood pile to cut up some more blanks for tomorrows trial thanks again for helping

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
We are Modge Podge fluent at ours because Wilma has used it forever with her craft working, there are many products to enjoy. I will be meeting with my friend Debra this week, she is a Glass Bead maker and will assk her about the latest word on product over here.

Peter.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
That's progress on No1 Woody. What is the medium you are printing on - is that a water slide decal? My understanding is that modge podge is water based. Does that mean yo have to seal the wood before applying it. I can understand the colour change on unsealed wood, but I would have thought that sealed wood would retain it's original sealed colour:thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).