• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Truestone

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
They are expensive wherever you go go to the american sites they are cheaper but you have to pay double in postage I should imagine they are an expensive item to produce if there was a UK supplier of the original truestone I'm sure there are quite a few of us that would buy them personally I am willing to pay the price because I want to turn them and I do like the true truestone

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
They are expensive wherever you go go to the american sites they are cheaper but you have to pay double in postage I should imagine they are an expensive item to produce if there was a UK supplier of the original truestone I'm sure there are quite a few of us that would buy them personally I am willing to pay the price because I want to turn them and I do like the true truestone

I have bought several minerals to crush and mix with resin, but I haven't found anything cheap and with malachite green, my favourite, it costs about £10 just to make about 4 blanks with malachite, never mind the resin, moulds and time to make the blanks. At least when I make them I know they are unique(ish) and they are not in the mass market. I don't know how the ones you bought will look when turned, but I am looking forward to seeing them.

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have bought several minerals to crush and mix with resin, but I haven't found anything cheap and with malachite green, my favourite, it costs about £10 just to make about 4 blanks with malachite, never mind the resin, moulds and time to make the blanks. At least when I make them I know they are unique(ish) and they are not in the mass market. I don't know how the ones you bought will look when turned, but I am looking forward to seeing them.

Peter

I got one of the Malachite truestone blanks on ebay a few years ago for £4 on bidding and I was the only one to bid and regretfully sold the pen after to a guy who kept on at me to sell it in the end I sold it to him for a very good price and regretted it ever since

Pete B

Registered
Hi,
i think a few people know i did used to sell trustone. Not that commercially though and not any more just JoWo nibs now.
I am not saying the stuff shown on ebay is not genuine it may well be and probably is.
But as far as i know there is only one manufacturer and thats rt research in America.
I never bought direct myself from them, but through someone i know who has access, but if you follow the link the current colours are there. They say that only the pliable colours are able to be turned with hand tools, and it is true that most of the colours available are on the pliable pages but i can see many colours i have bought and turned that are on the 1st couple of pages.
I have no idea whether they have the ebay ones at rt research and not shown them but they do seem to update the colour charts regularly regularly.

If they are copies and i say if. They do look different to the rt stuff as they look so different.

Personally i wouldn't buy them, not because i cannot guarantee they are genuine. I just don't like the colour as the ones i use tend to look like the minerals they are sometimes named after, or have gold veins through them. I keep mentioning provenance because i think it is so important to me when i try to market a pen even at a small scale. It appears to be important to customers as well.

I know it is a secretive process to make them but then i think that the metal pen blanks seem to be made in a similar way and i think from a different company. I like the metal ones as well for different reasons and they do sell for me but not loads.

I have sold more of the stone but its the provenance of the material that does it as they have to be more money of course than acrylics.

I don't know where the £4 per blank comes in as i have never bought them that cheap.

I hope this helps.

Pete

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I have to agree that they are a bit on the expensive side. I know eBay sellers want to cover the fees by making the buyer pay more, but from what I can see,if you shop around, you'll find most of what he sells cheaper else where.

Gotta say he charges like a wounded buffalo with his pen kits. You can get them for nigh on half of his price elsewhere ...

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I don't know where the £4 per blank comes in as i have never bought them that cheap.

Pete

The £4 blank was a truestone blank sold by a private seller who was selling there fathers workshop contents as he had pass-away I was just lucky but I dont expect to ever get another one for that price

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Hi,
i think a few people know i did used to sell trustone. Not that commercially though and not any more just JoWo nibs now.
I am not saying the stuff shown on ebay is not genuine it may well be and probably is.
But as far as i know there is only one manufacturer and thats rt research in America.
I never bought direct myself from them, but through someone i know who has access, but if you follow the link the current colours are there. They say that only the pliable colours are able to be turned with hand tools, and it is true that most of the colours available are on the pliable pages but i can see many colours i have bought and turned that are on the 1st couple of pages.
I have no idea whether they have the ebay ones at rt research and not shown them but they do seem to update the colour charts regularly regularly.

If they are copies and i say if. They do look different to the rt stuff as they look so different.

Personally i wouldn't buy them, not because i cannot guarantee they are genuine. I just don't like the colour as the ones i use tend to look like the minerals they are sometimes named after, or have gold veins through them. I keep mentioning provenance because i think it is so important to me when i try to market a pen even at a small scale. It appears to be important to customers as well.

I know it is a secretive process to make them but then i think that the metal pen blanks seem to be made in a similar way and i think from a different company. I like the metal ones as well for different reasons and they do sell for me but not loads.

I have sold more of the stone but its the provenance of the material that does it as they have to be more money of course than acrylics.

I hope this helps.

Pete

These aren't made by rt research Pete, the Chinese copy anything and everything and at a slice of the price.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Trust all you Truestone lovers find the best for less some times the adage you get what you pay for is about right lets see the results in time lots of prelim happening.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

daveygee

First Name
Dave
Hi All
My name is Dave and I trade on ebay under the name of Pitbull01uk. Yes, I am the seller of the said "trustone" blanks. I Have also been a member on here for some time.
Just to explain a little about myself, I have run my own businesses for over 40 years. I now run 4 small businesses inc the ebay shop plus try to do some woodturning in between times so as you can see time is my enemy. I am supposed to be retired but that is not going to happen.
I have followed this discussion with interest but have not said anything because I see it as a conflict of interest. Nor do I wish to step on Dan's toes. By the way Dan, you are doing a grand job.
I do not wish to be construed as using the forum or the forum members to further my business.
If people wish to buy from me, then great. If they do not, no problem.
I would like to explain one or two things.
I imported these blanks in good faith as "Trustone" blanks. As Neil said, "the chinese copy everything". I am not saying they are chinese made (waiting on reply from supplier on that). There were no "trustone blanks" available elsewhere and I am in business to supply a demand for a product.
The cost of these as Dan said was a bit pushy and like him, made me think a bit but hey ho in for a pound in for a US$. Because of their initial cost, good old DHL, import duties etc they land well in excess of the £4 quoted. Yes, I sell on ebay and therefore have their costs and paypal costs to contend with. Postage is included in my price. So when all is taken into account, my price is then not quite as bullish as it seems bearing in mind that I do have to make a profit as well.
I do not want to get into any unnecessary heated discussions about them or any of my other products. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. If there is a problem I am always open to constructive discussion.
If these or any of my other lines are not up to your expectations (if you was to purchase from me) or you have problems with them, (other than hitting them with a hammer - LOL) please let me know and I will refund those who purchased them without hesitation.
I am a woodturner myself but am so busy that I have not had chance to put them to the test but will do as soon as the opportunity arises.
I hope that this has helped answer one or two questions.

Davey Gee

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thank you for the explanation Davey, it is always good to understand a suppliers point of view and I agree that you have to cover your costs and indeed make a profit. I think that Alex has bought a blank from you and I look forward to seeing the result but unfortunately I as many others on here buy from Rizheng where they will land at a cost allowing the prices that Dan would be able to sell them for. I'm not knocking your prices because there are many people out there that will pay what you are asking and I too would do the same in your shoes as I like hight prices when selling but on this forum most people have the ability to get good products at very good prices. I wish you luck and why not join in a bit more in the forum?

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Well spoken, Davey. I reckon you've stated your case quite fairly, and I wish you good luck with your business (and your woodturning, LOL!).

Bob.

First Name
Dan
Hi All
My name is Dave and I trade on ebay under the name of Pitbull01uk. Yes, I am the seller of the said "trustone" blanks. I Have also been a member on here for some time.
Just to explain a little about myself, I have run my own businesses for over 40 years. I now run 4 small businesses inc the ebay shop plus try to do some woodturning in between times so as you can see time is my enemy. I am supposed to be retired but that is not going to happen.
I have followed this discussion with interest but have not said anything because I see it as a conflict of interest. Nor do I wish to step on Dan's toes. By the way Dan, you are doing a grand job.
I do not wish to be construed as using the forum or the forum members to further my business.
If people wish to buy from me, then great. If they do not, no problem.
I would like to explain one or two things.
I imported these blanks in good faith as "Trustone" blanks. As Neil said, "the chinese copy everything". I am not saying they are chinese made (waiting on reply from supplier on that). There were no "trustone blanks" available elsewhere and I am in business to supply a demand for a product.
The cost of these as Dan said was a bit pushy and like him, made me think a bit but hey ho in for a pound in for a US$. Because of their initial cost, good old DHL, import duties etc they land well in excess of the £4 quoted. Yes, I sell on ebay and therefore have their costs and paypal costs to contend with. Postage is included in my price. So when all is taken into account, my price is then not quite as bullish as it seems bearing in mind that I do have to make a profit as well.
I do not want to get into any unnecessary heated discussions about them or any of my other products. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. If there is a problem I am always open to constructive discussion.
If these or any of my other lines are not up to your expectations (if you was to purchase from me) or you have problems with them, (other than hitting them with a hammer - LOL) please let me know and I will refund those who purchased them without hesitation.
I am a woodturner myself but am so busy that I have not had chance to put them to the test but will do as soon as the opportunity arises.
I hope that this has helped answer one or two questions.

Davey Gee
I fully see where you are coming from. I pulled away from eBay a while ago now as I feel that to compete with the likes of Axminster eBay is too expensive to operate. As I am sure you already know, the forum is full of wonderful but well researched people so offering something different I find is key. I personally was not prepared to take the chance on it as the weight it self inflates the costs at both ends. I wish you all the best with it. I have not as yet seen anyone else supplying it so could be a winner. Dan

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well said Dave I will let you know how I get on with them as well as publish my findings on here not that I'm expecting there to be any problems you wont here me quibble about the price as you seem to be about the same as everyone else and no import taxes to pay on top I purchased some metal pen blanks from The Turners workshop before Christmas and they are twice the price of trestone blanks good luck my friend

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
I agree with you, Woody. Those Polygem blanks are real good. Just got to remember that they shed volumes of powder when turned/sanded, so wear a mask and keep the dust extraction equipment going. Good suggestion, Woody. Let's hope the guys out there respond.

Bob.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I agree with you, Woody. Those Polygem blanks are real good. Just got to remember that they shed volumes of powder when turned/sanded, so wear a mask and keep the dust extraction equipment going. Good suggestion, Woody. Let's hope the guys out there respond.

Bob.

Also the dust coloured so it is good for filling voids in wood

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Always good to hear the other side of the story, very well explained Davey, good luck to you. :thumbs:

I own a business and very quickly learned that no matter how cheap you sell your product, (services in my case) there are always many others who will undercut you which if you follow the trend then becomes a downwards spiral.

Whilst it's human nature that every one of us would like a Rolls Royce for the price of a Mini, in reality what we actually want is value for money and that equates to a reasonable quality product and excellent service at a fair price.

That philosophy has rewarded me with a decent living, no work shortages, in fact the opposite over the last 16 years and many repeat customers who have become firm friends. The downside is like you, I'm trying to retire and they won't let me:nooidea:

First Name
Dan
Have any of you suppliers ever considered selling the polygem pen blanks reconstituted stone from Hut they retail from them for $3.99 and they get cheaper the more you buy https://www.hutproducts.com/departments.asp?dept=85 T/R used to sell them but now there are no U/K suppliers

Thanks Woody, It is always something to look into. As you already know blanks are something i have stayed away from due to products that are mass supplied in the uk already or lack of knowledge on my part to make an informed decision. My focus till now has always been on supplying something different hence my pen kit development quest.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Thanks Woody, It is always something to look into. As you already know blanks are something i have stayed away from due to products that are mass supplied in the uk already or lack of knowledge on my part to make an informed decision. My focus till now has always been on supplying something different hence my pen kit development quest.

I understand that and it makes great sense, no point in getting into a market that's saturated already.

The Polygem blanks were well liked by a bunch of us and we were all gutted when it seemed that TR just stopped stocking them with no warning. I don't know if there's enough of us to make it viable for you, but I would dearly love to be able to get Polygem in the UK.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).