• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Trusted supplier of logs to turn?

MarkNotts

First Name
Mark
Hi I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a good supplier of kiln or air dried logs between say 10-50 cm diameter?

My purchases so far have been a hit and miss from ebay and most bought are that badly split they are firewood, not wax sealed end grain or seasoned right.

Attachments

• 20160816_095734.jpg
    20160816_095734.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 67

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Drying and selling entire logs to such sizes is a risky business, and most commercial vendors won't do it. The risk of splitting is too great if the pith remains in the wood. Most turners who seek stock of that size would tend to source it by other means, then rough turn it and season it themselves.

Home of wood

Apprentice Member
First Name
Paul
Drying and selling entire logs to such sizes is a risky business, and most commercial vendors won't do it. The risk of splitting is too great if the pith remains in the wood. Most turners who seek stock of that size would tend to source it by other means, then rough turn it and season it themselves.

Very True ..... We do not cut much above 4 inch thick as air dried timber will never dry above this, any thing over 4 inch I always suggest rough turning first to be on the safe side.

From the picture attached thats a 6 inch slab of beech, you can see that its dried out quicker on the outside than in the middle , This is why you get the hair line cracks ... so this slab is pretty much useless !

Coy5-TKWEAAgV_2.jpg

mattkemp

First Name
matt
Neil have you tried licolnshire woodcraft just of the a1 I used him a couple of times he supply's native grown and non native grown timber can be a bit pricey but depends on why your after

Cheers

Matt

MarkNotts

First Name
Mark
Thanks again for all the replys and it looks like im gonna have to do some wet turning and do the cardboard box and shavings trick, then turn my loft into a makeshift wood filled box storage as there is no space in the house or shed to store boxes for a year plus ;) , Im just too damn inpatient thats wjy i was hoping

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).