• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

trying something new

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
As some of you know i have only done a couple of craft fairs. The first is best forgotten, the second was pretty good.
I have a lot of people asking questions about pen making. So i thought i would make a small video of the process step by step. Obviously it is much abbreviated, 16 mins in fact, full length would be boring to watch. I have it on my macbook and tablet playing in VLC as you can loop the video, i also upped it to youtube, this was a long process as my 16min video is 2.6gig in size, it in HD 1080 so very sharp.

I have also tried drilling the blanks differently, i drill in from both ends with the drill then cut the blank to length. There is no risk of blow out this way.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Ken neat to have you describe both of your sales experiences. Very interested in your video and access to see it. Drilling from both ends requires a certain skill in itself looking forward to yout holding, drilling methods so a video sounds great.

Peter.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Good idea drilling from both ends on your blank if you are only doing slimlines or all the same pens. Some blanks you can get two pens from sometimes different kits plus don't you save your off cuts to try segmented pens in the future if you do it might not be too handy to have a hole in them, if you place a scrap piece of wood under the blank you will not get blowout.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I don't see the point, nor the video, of drilling from both ends, unless your drill bit is too short, too much can go wrong and I can't see an upside.

Peter

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
Well you asked . youtube pen making - YouTube

Buckeye, i drill both ends in the full length blank, it was just something i wanted to try. I have only had blow outs twice, both with bigger drill never with 7mm. I didnt find it particularly difficult, in fact it was easier i think.

The drilling from both ends is not on the video

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
A good job on the video but if you intend to put this on a screen for people to watch while at a craft fair then I would suggest that you edit it so that it is shorter as many will just want to move on and not spend a lot of time watching the whole thing.

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
My first attempt was 8 mins long but with reworks it grew. I will shorten it but don't know if i will get time this week before my two craft fairs this weekend.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
You could still keep the video but speed it up on the repetative bits I see Mike Waldt does this on his videos how you do it I do not know. I was going to start to upload video on utube not just penmaking and bought Adobe Premier Elements but my broadband is so slow the one video I did put up for family took all night and half the next day to upload so have given up on that score. I did enjoy your video and think it is a good idea and should attract people at a craft fare I might have a go myself but not upload the video but try and transfer to the iPad for craftfares.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Ken,

Well done on making the video - lovely, clear recording! Excellent!

Now a suggestion; You need to secure your drill vice so that it doesn't wobble, else you'll drill a larger hole than you need. This also applies when milling.

And now a criticism - NEVER, ever use a lathe or other piece of machinery with a flapping shirt cuff - there's been a few blokes on the site who've had near-misses after an item of loose clothing has become caught on the lathe. Get that button sewn back on, lol!

Regards, Bob.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have to agree with Peter I cant see the point if I'm rilling a material that is prone to blow out or splitting then I cut them a bit to long drill to the required depth and then cut the end off but each to there own I say happy turning

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
Ken,

Now a suggestion; You need to secure your drill vice so that it doesn't wobble, else you'll drill a larger hole than you need. This also applies when milling.

And now a criticism - NEVER, ever use a lathe or other piece of machinery with a flapping shirt cuff - there's been a few blokes on the site who've had near-misses after an item of loose clothing has become caught on the lathe. Get that button sewn back on, lol!

Regards, Bob.

mmmm you saw that, i know it's stupid. If the guy i had teaching me in the toolroom that would have been my ears chewed off. point taken.

I have been thinking of a quick clamp system for the vice

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Ken,

A bit of a pain in the arse but mine is secured all round by those market-stall clamps - if you can get those that come fitted with rubber sleeves that cover the teeth they tend not to slip.

Bob.

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
You could still keep the video but speed it up on the repetative bits I see Mike Waldt does this on his videos how you do it I do not know. I was going to start to upload video on utube not just penmaking and bought Adobe Premier Elements but my broadband is so slow the one video I did put up for family took all night and half the next day to upload so have given up on that score. I did enjoy your video and think it is a good idea and should attract people at a craft fare I might have a go myself but not upload the video but try and transfer to the iPad for craftfares.

Hi BigBob

Regarding uploading and downloading speeds. If you go to Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test you can test your speed against what you know you should have from your provider, Virgin, Sky, what ever. If it is quite a bit lower moan at them big time and keep moaning till they do something. You are paying for a service and it should be provided, do get put off by their glib replies of "we do not guarantee our speed". If they are close ok but if they are really low complain like *****.

Anyhow, speedtest, when the page comes up till 'begin test' comes up do not click on the ads that come up. The site is clean of bugs as it is used by a wide range of people and even companies (virgin for one)
Let it run, about 1 to 2 minutes and it will gibe you your up and down speed.
My connection should be 70MB upload and i am not sure on the download speed but i get 6.24.
Another factor is where you use you phone tablet laptop, the test above was done about three feet from the router on my Imac which is in our loft conversion.
Now if i use my macbook on the ground floor i get 21mb upload and 6.34 download, a big drop from upstairs for the download but not for the up speed. The signal has to travel through two floors and maybe walls. We are talking WIFI here, if your connect by hardwire cable it may well be more.
At that 6mb up speed it took me about 4 to 5 hours to up 2.6gig (2600mb)
Below are a couple of pictures (i hope) of speed test in action, and no that is not me taking a leak.
View attachment 31618View attachment 31619

I hope this helps. Not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs . :-)

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
Ken,

Regards, Bob.

bluntchisel

my new drill jig clamped down.View attachment 31620

My shirt, well i have had it for a long time so didn't cut the sleeves off as i feel the cold these days, i will roll the sleeves in future :winking:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Time short will come back mate I would shuck the music liked the vid other comments much later. Thanks for the video and time advice.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).